Hurt Back

You knew something was wrong in an instant. The sound of his normal heavy smooth footsteps were replaced with a clumsy stagger. You lifted your eyes from the lasagna you'd made.

"Raf?"

He swung his briefcase around and dropped it near the door. That was your second indication. It was an expensive case, one you'd bought for him last Christmas, and he normally treated it like glass.

He pretended not to hear your concern, and took off his jacket. His movements were awkward, like he had a plank attached to his back.

"Raf, did you hurt your back?" You asked.

He avoided your eyes as he went straight for the cupboard. He reached up awkwardly to grab a glass and poured himself a glass of water.

"I'm fine," he said with that quiet sharpness that you hated.

"What happened?" You persisted. You stood up from your meal that you'd been picking at with your fork while waiting for him. He cringed as he finished off his water and shifted his back to put his glass in the sink.

He still didn't look at you. "It's nothing, mi amor. There was a bit of a courtroom brawl, someone kicked or punched me in the back or something. I'll be fine."

You rolled your eyes. Typical Rafael Barba stubbornness. You placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed him gently until he finally turned to you. He pulled you into his arms in a warm embrace and kissed your forehead. "How was your day love?" He asked casually.

You pressed your nose to his chest, taking in his scent and heat. You then ran your hands around his back gently, searching for the source of his pain. You felt him tense as your hand grazed his middle back, to the side of his spine. It was a spot you'd hurt yourself on more than one occasion, a very tender area with little forgiveness for movement.

A small smile tugged at the corner of your lips. "Rafi, would you please just humor me if I tried to help you?"

You felt his chuckle as it vibrated through his chest. "Do I have a choice?"

"No," you said with firm humor. You pulled away to look up into his sharp eyes. "You eat your supper, I'll go run you a hot bath with lots of Epsom salts."

Rafael raised a single brow. "A bath?"

"With Epsom salts, it'll help your pain, really," you insisted.

Once his belly was full, Rafael joined you in the bathroom. You helped him out of his shirt. The air in the room was already heavy with steam.

You tossed his shirt to the side, and his hands moved down. To your surprise, you felt his fingers pulling at the bottom of your blouse. You grabbed his wrists, raising a brow.

"Rafi..."

He smiled. A twinkle of mischief gleamed in his eye. "C'mon mi amor, you're not going to leave me in here alone are you? I'm injured, I might drown." He leaned down to place a deep kiss on your neck. A low groan escaped your mouth.

"You are supposed to be relaxing," you scolded.

"I will, but you're going to have to stay, just to make sure," he said in that low purr of a voice, his lips grazing your neck. Your eyes rolled back into your head. It baffled you how Rafael could dissolve you into a puddle of mush with such little effort.

Once he was undressed, you helped him into the tub, supporting his back, and taking a quick peek at his backside. He turned just in time to catch your eye, causing a wide grin to take over his face.

"You checking me out love?" He asked as he leaned back against the bath cushion you'd positioned on the slope of the tub, his injured back submerged in the hot water.

"Of course I am," you said bluntly as you pulled your blouse over your head. Rafael's eyes drew down to your chest.

"Well I'm definitely checking you out."

Once you too were bear, you lowered yourself down into the tub, careful not to disturb him. You settled between his legs and leaned back, pressing your bare back against his hot chest. His arms snaked under your arms to wrap around you tightly. He brushed your hair to the side to plant a deep kiss on your bare shoulder.

"This is nice, love. I should get punched out in court more often," he whispered into your skin.

You flung your hand back to slap him playfully in the shoulder. "Shut up," you scolded with a hearty laugh.

The two of you stayed there for over half an hour, basking in the relaxing heat and your closeness. Once the water had cooled and your skin had puckered, you pulled yourself out of the tub. You helped Rafael out and wrapped him in two towels. He pulled your still bare and soaked body against him and kissed your forehead. You loved when he did that. You ran your hand over the injured part of his back through the towel, and he didn't so much as flinch.

"Thank you, love, you were right, as usual."

You grinned. "Anything for you my love." You leaned up to kiss his soft cheek.