Ticklish Weekend at Auntie's *Part 5*

The morning sun crested through the trees beyond the emerald yard. A caressing pillar of steam drifted up into Marilyn's face from the coffee mug cupped in her hands. She gazed out into the garden centered around her winding driveway. Her forest green Viper sat basking in the sunlight, a car her sister had insisted was reckless and not fit for her age, but such contrarian stances only seemed to fuel Marilyn's pathway to self indulgence. She sipped the rich New England roast as black as she could make it.

A pristine white robe dangled off her shoulders, typical Friday morning attire. The scent of her morning coffee felt much smoother before an eventless day of solitary. She imagined that she would clean around the house, making mental notes of places she had been putting off throughout the week. Not the most promising agenda, but such a day left plenty of time for more pleasurable hobbies. The day would only begin once the mug was empty.

A familiar chirp sang out from the den. Marilyn tracked the constant, rhythmic chiming of her phone over to a small end table. She picked it up and read the caller ID before answering.

"Good morning, sis," said Marilyn.

"Good morning," replied Cynthia. "I assume I haven't caught you at a bad time."

"Just enjoying a little alone time, so I'd say you've caught me at the worst time."

"Good, you're not busy," Cynthia answered. Marilyn chuckled at her sister's intentional disregard. "I just wanted to check up on you, see how you were doing."

"Fine," said Marilyn.

"How was your trip?" Cynthia asked. "You got back in okay?"

"Amazing," said Marilyn. "Florence is beautiful this time of year. I'll have to tell you about it sometime. That's not why you called though, is it?"

"Well, not really," said Cynthia. "Good to know that you're doing fine, though."

"What's up?" Marilyn asked.

"Just had some good news I'd like to share with you," said Cynthia. "I just got a letter in the mail saying that Valerie has been accepted to college." Marilyn took a sip of her coffee.

"That's great," said Marilyn. "Where to?"

"That's the funny part," said Cynthia. "Artemis University." Marilyn lowered the mug from her lips.

"Really?"

"I had no idea that she was even interested in Artemis," said Cynthia. "I was wondering if you had anything to do with this?"

"Of course not," said Marilyn.

"You know I can hear it when you smirk while you talk," said Cynthia.

"I swear, I didn't."

"Lyn..." Marilyn sighed.

"Okay, I may have sent her the application to fill out," said Marilyn. "But it's a good school. She can learn a lot there."

"You sure there's no other reason that you pushed Artemis?" Cynthia asked.

"It was a great school for me, so I don't see why it shouldn't be for her," said Marilyn.

"You sure it had nothing to do with the Sisterhood?" Marilyn chuckled.

"Like I said, it was a great school for me," said Marilyn.

"Uh huh," said Cynthia. "You know I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm thrilled for her."

"Maybe her and I can make a weekend out if touring the campus," said Marilyn. "I'd make sure to show her everything, especially my old stomping grounds."