Chapter 16 - Allies

Let's give our dear Kaya some love too, shall we? Here's a pic of her! ^^

This chapter is dedicated to AsunaXI! Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaya pov:

No sound could be heard in the study besides the scritch-scratch of the tip of the quill against parchment paper and the occasional turning of a page of a book. A gentle breeze came in through the open windows on the side and ruffled Lord Sil's hair as he sat at his desk engrossed in work.

I glanced at him for a moment as I took the now empty tea cup off his table and walked back to the service table on the side. I placed the cup on the tray and turned around to wait silently until Lord Silas gave me permission to leave and tend to other chores. However, unlike usual, Lord Silas stayed silent. He did not look up from the papers he was working on and he didn't break the silence that had settled in the room.

Despite the pain and exhaustion of the wounds on my left shoulder and arm, I had returned to doing chores in the castle after just a day of rest. Of course, I had slept the most of yesterday and as a result woken up quite early in the morning when it was still dark. I hadn't been able to get to sleep after that so I had spent some time in the open courtyard of the Art House looking at the stars and the forest while singing a song that came to my mind because of my turbulent emotions. Yet again, I had been warned by General Philon then but I was glad that he hadn't done anything to hurt me again.

My left arm was currently out of commission for use. The burn on my shoulder and the self inflicted wound on my arm didn't allow me to function normally as I would have on any other day. I too didn't want to strain my arm too much so I kept it limp ay my side and did all the work with my right hand.

Whether it was pouring tea to serve to Lord Silas or putting books in their places in the shelves or stacking loose sheets together, I did all of it with one hand and at a pace that I found comfortable. Lord Silas didn't question me or saying anything against my slow pace because he probably understood that the wound on my arm wasn't easy to work with. I don't think he knew about what had happened to my shoulder though but I could be wrong because the bandages wrapped over the burn were visible thanks to the boat neck of the one piece dress I wore. Perhaps he just didn't comment about it.

I was expecting things between Lord Silas and me to be really awkward because of what I had done yesterday. However, Lord Silas was as he always was – stoic and as if nothing unusual had happened at all. In fact, he was almost too stoic. He hadn't spoken to me even once since I came to his office room to serve him tea, let alone looked at me, and I had felt a little hurt from being ignored. I had just realized my feelings for him and I had decided to call him with his full name from now on because it made me feel a little closer to him. I had been hoping that Lord Silas would show some amount of change in behavior towards me. But instead of what I had expected, he had only given me the cold shoulder.

I blinked and looked away from Lord Silas realizing that I had been staring at him continuously for the past ten minutes that I was lost in thought when there was a knock at the door. I looked at the door curiously along with Lord Silas but twitched when I heard the voice of the person I really did not want to see at the moment.

"Lord Silas, it is Philon."

"Come in." Lord Silas said curtly.

I looked away from the doors clenching my jaw as General Philon entered. I kept my gaze on the carpet but I could feel him stare at me for a moment before coming to get on one knee a little away from where Lord Silas sat.