Chapter 18 - Unguarded Emotions

This chapter is dedicated to TheLonelyOne132! Thank you for summoning the courage to comment! It means a lot! Happy reading :3

~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaya pov:

I let out a deep sigh and wiped the sweat off my brow. I looked around the study to make sure that I hadn't missed a spot – the floor and furniture were all clean now, spick and span after almost two hours of scrubbing and wiping. There was no trace of blood left staining any part of the study and the metallic smell of blood too no longer hung heavily in the air.

I nodded to myself and put aside the mop and bucket of water I had used to clean the floor and furniture. Looking at the water that was stained a dark red made me feel queasy so I didn't look at it for longer than necessary. I walked back to the side of the study and sat on my knees next to Aldora while looking over Lord Silas to make sure that he looked okay. I was glad that he did look okay – he was no longer sweating, his complexion was almost back to normal and he looked peaceful in his sleep.

Aldora and I were really relieved that nothing serious had happened. In one way, I was glad that I ran into Lord Leon in the hallway and he had me given me the letter to keep in his room. It's also really lucky that I was different from the other Arts and could read and write and I was able to warn Lord Silas about the things people were plotting against him before he got seriously hurt by them. Well, I wasn't even from this world after all and that was probably, no, it was definitely the only reason why I was able to be of any more help to Lord Silas over the other Arts or Supremes that supported him.

"Kaya...." Aldora spoke in a low and sort of weak voice.

"What is it, Aldora?"

"What do we do, Kaya? What can we do to protect Big Brother? Why are there so many people around him who want him to suffer? What can we do?"

She sounded so pained and it sent a sharp tug in my chest. I wanted answers for the same questions that she had just asked but I knew that we wouldn't get an answer for them from anyone. In fact, I could only guess the reasons why people disliked Lord Silas and were trying to do such terrible things to him – rivalry, jealousy and the greed to rise to power over him. Perhaps it was also Lord Silas's detached personality and his habit to not trust people easily or entertain them that made others dislike him. But that was what made him him. That's the person he was and would be and people had to respect him that.

Taking a deep breath, I placed my hand on Aldora's trembling shoulder. She looked at me through strained eyes, ones that had become weary from the tears she had shed and the angst she felt for all that had happened, and I managed a small reassuring smile. I tightened my grip on her shoulder and shook her head, silently telling her that she shouldn't look so pained. What had happened could not be reversed but we knew that Lord Silas was alright so that was more than enough to give us strength to pull through this and head for a better planned future.

"Aldora, do you trust me?" I asked her gently.

"Of course I do, Kaya. More than anyone in this castle."

"Then let me protect him. Let me protect Lord Silas. I will do everything in my power to watch out for him....to make sure that no one succeeds in hurting him ever again. I know that he wanted me to keep this as a secret but I think you have every right to know, Aldora. Lord Silas told me to be his eyes and ears in the castle, to monitor every person and everything happening in the castle to warn and alert him before anything bad could happen. And that is what I am doing now and will continue to do."

"You've been serving as a spy?" She asked in mild disbelief.

I couldn't help but chuckle at her surprise. I nodded though and gave her a moment to let everything to sink in. When she had thought through everything, she relaxed and smiled.