Chapter 23 - Powerful Resolution

This chapter is dedicated to YourEyesCaptivateMe! Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaya pov:

"Kaya!"

I tensed for a moment before meeting Lord Silas's gaze. He narrowed his eyes and I cringed slightly while letting out a deep sigh.

"Yes, Lord Silas?" I asked a little too meekly.

"You are distracted." He said flatly. "This is not a place for you to be distracted, Kaya. You are among two hundred Supremes, most of which are watching you and me alike with intentions that could be dangerous."

"I-I know. I'm sorry. I was just worried....about Hale." I confessed hesitantly.

"He is being given the best of treatment and care by Isaiah under your and Aldora's request. He may be unconscious but he is not dead. You have no reason to worry for his wellbeing more than this." Lord Silas responded icily.

His words were harsh but they were true. Hale had attacked him, tried to kill him and the only reason he was still alive and being treated to ensure that he regained consciousness soon and lived was because Aldora and I had begged him to help. We considered him as an important lover and friend respectively. I'm sure if I wasn't there at that moment, Hale would have been finished off immediately and discarded without a second thought. But I considered Lord Silas as the most important person in my life now – I had confessed to him and promised him that I would always be by his side, that I would protect and love him and always keep him as my first priority. So the right thing to do now was to put my trust in Sir Isaiah and hope that Hale would recover quickly.

Besides, Aldora was by his side even now, skipping the gathering just so she could ensure every possible comfort for him while he recovered. Having someone who cared for him so much by his side was sure to help Hale recover sooner, right?

"I understand, Lord Silas. I'm sorry." I apologized but smiled slightly.

He gave me a stiff nod before waking forward between the people gathered in the ballroom. He accepted the wishes of those he spoke with and accepted gifts from them that were mostly either flower bouquets or in-trend men's accessories like pocket watches, cuff links and so on. I had my head held high, my gaze forward as I walked beside him which earned me a few skeptical looks from the other Supremes. However, since Lord Silas didn't say anything against my boldness, no one else dared to say anything to me either.

"Ah, Lord Silas! It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person. I've heard so much about you from my father....how powerful and stoic of a person you are." We heard a voice call from the side.

Lord Silas and I came to a halt to see the person who had just spoken and I tensed seeing the Supreme I remember seeing in the auction where I met Prof – the guy who was staring at Lord Silas so murderously that day that made me feel the need to be extra cautious of him. I clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes just a bit when he came to a stop barely a foot away from us smiling. I didn't even need to look at him for longer than a few seconds to figure out that his smile was so fake.

"Cyril." Lord Silas said indifferently though I did notice the slight displeasure in his voice.

"I'm honored to see that you remember my name, Lord Silas. I assumed you would have forgotten or seen me as unfit to be remembered because of what my father did. He was truly despicable, wasn't he? Planning an assassination attempt on you with your own brother." He spoke smoothly.

I clenched my jaw harder as I resisted from letting out a sound. This guy was Lord Claude's son....the elder one who I had my suspicions about in the matter of his involvement with his father. And it looks like I was right. I had proof that he was a hundred percent allied with his father against Lord Silas and was here with some ulterior motive – the menacing glare he had given to Lord Silas that day and the sickly sweet tone of his voice today. He might be able to fool anyone here but I wasn't going to be misled by his fake friendly persona.