New Work

Harry's POV

Louis offered to drive me home with him after school, seeing as I clearly don't have a car and we were going to the same place. I stayed silent through the whole ride, until we got to the mansion. It still amazes me how someone can have so much when I can be left with so little. Not jealous or complaining, I just can't comprehend it. Louis led me through the front door, and I immediately tightened my jacket around myself. No way am I going to let what happened last time happen again. That was a close enough call, I had to run home immediately after they let me. Mum was okay, but it was so scary for a minute there. I mean, I'd love to spend the night, but what about mum?

Johanna shook my hand, and led me to a desk in her office, it wasn't here the last time, so she must have bought it. Once again, incomprehensible to say the least. Given her instructions, I sat down and began editing. English is the one thing that I retain- every time I do homework that actually gets a good grade it's for English. The big stack of papers is a little intimidating, but I'm allowed to be thorough and take my time looking through everything. After more than two hours, the door creaked open slowly. Johanna has been in here this whole time, working on her own paperwork, so that must be Louis. I turned a little bit, and instead saw a little cat wander its way in. A smile immediately spread across my sore face, and I couldn't even express how excited I was. I've always wanted a cat, when Derek moved in he spoke about getting one, but we never did.

The cat actually sauntered on over, and sat beside me. I looked down and smiled even larger. "Hello there..." I whispered, reaching down to pet it. The kitty jumped into my lap, and I almost couldn't contain my rampant squealing. How precious! "Mrs. Tomlinson, who's this?" I asked, petting the cat as much as I could. It's quite distracting, I'm sure it'll be taken away in a moment once discovered, but I can't help it.

"Oh that's Winnie. She's usually the less friendly of our cats, though she does love this office. It's quite quiet." I smiled and pet her some more, waiting for Mrs. Tomlinson to take her away. But she didn't, so I allowed Winnie to settle in my lap as I continued working. After six hours though... I got very tired and can barely pull together working anymore. The pile is almost done, but I want to fall asleep like Winnie did hours ago.

"Mrs. Tomlinson? I um... well, we never really established how long I'd be working for, and m sorry, I'm really tired and kinda hungry..." I muttered the last part to myself, I don't need people to know I'm hungry. I heard her get up from her desk, and walk over to mine. She placed a gentle hand on my back, and looked through the top of her glasses at my work. I nervously pet Winnie and waited for her approval.

"Dinner is almost ready, we can go get you some food before you go home. Louis will drive, that's not negotiable. I saw you walking last time, it's too late at night for that. It's unsafe." I looked up at her slowly, then nodded in the same manner. She led me downstairs, and told me to stay in the kitchen. I'm not stupid, obeying adults is the most important if you don't want to get hit. Mrs. Tomlinson returned to me, and handed me a huge stack of money. My eyes widened as she held it out to me. I froze again, feeling as though I might pass out. "Hey hey, sit down there love. I'm just paying you for today. You're young, I'm sure you have things you want to go do, so I'm prepared to always pay youv in cash. This is today's work money, £600, plus £50 because I never gave you a tbreak and that's not fair. Sorry, I just got caught up in my work too."

I took the money to from her, and stared at it for a moment. "Th-thank you..." I whispered, putting away the money in my sad wallet. It's extremely old, and it's only got five pence in it (I jokingly call it my emergency money, but that's truly what it is- I just don't have enough money for an emergency). Mrs. Tomlinson smiled at me, before jogging to the kitchen. I have no idea what she's doing, but okay. Louis walked in, in place of his mum, with two plates full of food.

"Do you mind if it's just us?" Louis asked, setting a humungous plate in front of me. I looked at him, a little confused. "I uh... I would love to get to know you better if I could?" Aw, that's so sweet. He wants to be friends! That's so exciting- I've always wanted a real friend! I nodded my head excitedly and he seemed to be thrilled with that.

We sat and chatted and laughed and ate (so much food!), and there was only one thing going through my head the whole time.

Louis is so popular, why does he want another friend?