Trial: Part 1

Mark went immediately to the police with the information Harry gave him, and in a matter of hours Derek was behind bars. Now, two months later, the trial finally had to start. Two months in the Tomlinson's house Harry and Anne had lived. The school year had ended, so Harry was able to work more than ever, and spend time with Louis. But something seemed wrong. Aside from the constant nightmares, Harry was sweating a ton at night- way too much even considering the heat. Just all the time, having this fever. He had thought it went away, but it clearly hadn't- or maybe this was a new fever he wasn't quite sure.

Because he sweat so much (so he figured), Harry had progressively lost a significant amount of weight. It didn't really make sense though, he was eating better than he had in the past two years, and he didn't have an eating disorder. He'd have Jay check it soon enough, just after the trial was over. But today was the day. Today was the first day of the trial. Opening statements, and first character witnesses. Derek had chosen a drinking buddy of his as his character witness, Mark found that Zayn would be quite helpful as an opening witness. Harry was so tired though, and terrified to go and have to see Derek. "Hey sweetheart... how's my boo doing?" Louis asked, gently wrapping his arms around Harry's shoulders. Harry shrugged sadly, and adjusted his tie.

"Not great... I'm going to get sick... my poor stomach has never been put through so much. Tea might help..." Harry hinted, having gotten a lot more reliant on Louis, and confident to ask him for things such as tea.

"I'll get us both some tea, and maybe something to eat? You can't argue, you need to put on some weight lovie." Harry slowly nodded, and sat down on the bed they'd shared for the past two months. He looked down at his hand, still not fully healed it had been broken so badly, and sighed. "Look... I know you're nervous but... in the end, the truth will be what sticks out the most. It'll win. You'll see." Louis re-assured, hitting the newly-installed intercom button on his wall. "Two cups of tea and a couple of avocados please." Louis said, before releasing the button. The Tomlinsons always had help, as now the two Styles did.

In a couple of moments, a maid appeared in the doorway, bringing food for the two boys. "Eat then go..." Harry mumbled, starting on a half an avocado. He wanted to put weight on, he wanted to keep it on. It just wasn't happening.

•••••••••••

"First character witness for the people, Niall Horan, Harry's school counselor." The judge announced, causing Harry to shrink back further in his seat. He fidgeted uncomfortably in his suit, trying not to make eye contact with Derek, who was glaring at him from across the courtroom.

"Mr. Horan, how is Harry at school?" Mark asked, standing and walking towards him.

"He's quiet, not loving class or the people there. I think he's only got one friend or so, so I guess kinda lonely?" Niall responded, obviously guilty for talking about Harry in such a way.

"Why do people not talk to him?" Mark asked, causing Derek's lawyer to spring up from his seat.

"Objection your honor! Calls for speculation." The judge nodded, and asked for Mark to rephrase.

"Has Harry told you reasons people don't interact with him?" Mark asked, causing Niall to sigh and nod.

"Of course. The bruises and the scars usually. He has an affinity for piercings and tattoos, but the real issue seems to always be the bruises and scars. People always look at his arms, and his face, and even when the piercings aren't in, the kids still walk away." Niall explained, smiling apologetically at Harry. Harry brought his knees to his chest, and rested his head on them, this was all a little much for him.

"So he's lonely, maybe shy?" Mark asked, to which Niall nodded before remembering to answer verbally.

Mark walked back to his seat, and sat down, allowing Derek's lawyer to question Niall. "So Mr. Styles doesn't get along with the other kids. Has he ever gotten into a fight?" Tim, Derek's lawyer questioned.

"Harry's a sweet kid. He wouldn't hurt a living soul." Niall said, even quite defensive.

"But has he ever gotten into a fight that you know of?" Tim insisted, walking closer to Niall, and looking slyly back at Harry.

"He said he got into a fight with his stepdad once. Really upset about it. He was really uncomfortable, squirming, near the point of tears, I'd never seen him like that before. It was a couple months ago." Harry hid his entire face into his knees, and tried to keep the flashbacks from flooding in.

"So, he did get into at least one fight, which leads us to believe that maybe he fought all the time! He made up this little notebook to excuse all the fights he got into, and he's the one who should go to prison." Tim said, walking back to his seat. "No more questions." He smirked, and smiled over at the curled up boy in the chair.

Mark turned towards Harry, and set his hand on his back. "Do you need a break sweetheart? We can take a break whenever you want to." Harry shook his head, and looked up, wiping his eyes. He sniffled and took a sip of water.

Derek's character witness, which happened to be a buddy from the bar, was thankfully not too helpful. He was at the bar constantly with Derek, which means Derek is an alcoholic, which helps Mark's case a lot. As they were leaving the courtroom, Harry quickly made his way to Louis' arms, before Derek stopped him dead in his tracks. "Why would you make up these lies about me buddy? You know we don't always see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean we aren't pals! I don't see why you can't stop hating your step daddy, you've even turned mummy against me!" Derek placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, and smiled in a sickly manner.

Harry started to cry and hyperventilate, shoving Derek's hand off him and falling back on the floor trying to get away. "Oi, keep your hands off my boyfriend. You're on trial for abuse and rape! I'd suggest you stay away from him!" Louis said, before scooping Harry into his arms. Harry clung on tight, and allowed Louis to carry him out.

If only he can get through this.