chapter 8: comfort.

september 4, monday 3:50 pm

"i'll be right back." i told the girls at the table.

i wanted to see what was happening outside, david and his dad both stormed out. i was really curious. i made my way outside to see them on the corner of the building without them seeing me. a lot of yelling was going on.

"listen here you piece of shit, you're not staying here any longer. you don't have money and you best fucking believe i'm not giving you any." david's dad yelled.

"i can do this myself, let me live my life!" david yelled back.

just then his own dad slapped david across the face. hard.

david was in silence.

"why are you even here." david mumbled.

david's dad didn't even give him a response. he just walked away in his business suit, no emotions. david was on the corner of the building still, rubbing his face. i did what my gut told me to, i ran up to him.

"oh my god are you okay?" i ask.

david looks over at me with tears in his eyes. tears. he looked terrified.

"i didn't want him here." was all david mumbled until i grabbed david into a tight hug, comforting him.

david started to breathe heavy and quietly sob into my shoulder, making me want to cry with him. but i had to be strong for him, and i don't know why.

*later that day*

"holy shit!" gabbie gasped.

we were both sitting in our dorms. i told her about what happened earlier.

"yeah.."

"well where's david now?" gabbie asked.

"i took him back to his dorm and gave him to alex. alex took care of him after that."

"well that's good. poor david."

gabbie actually felt bad for david now, which was weird.

"i feel so bad for him. he doesn't tell me anything which makes me think he has an awful family life behind closed doors.." i say.

"you're probably right though liza, he probably hates his life. that's why he can be shitty to people."

"i don't think he's shitty.." i sighed, "not anymore."

"how do you know?"

shit. i have to tell her about the past couple of days. especially last night. she'll flip.

"well.." i twiddle my fingers, "we kinda.. did things together."

gabbie's mouth immediately dropped.

"you guys fucked?"

"gabbie!"

"what that's a simpler way of putting it!"

i put my hands over my eyes and rubbed them.

"so.. you guys did it?" gabbie asked.

"yeah. and saturday night.. when you guys were asleep i met up with him at the library because he said he would tell me his sob story."

"well did he?"

"no. but we got trapped in the library that night and we just talked pretty much the whole time. not about a lot though, he wouldn't tell me a lot of things."

i told gabbie everything we did together after that. after i was done talking about it, gabbie just sat on her bed with a blank stare into nothingness.