chapter 17: we did it.

4 years forward

i walked through the gymnasium doors, my heels clicking every step. i was a big ball of anxiety at this point. 5 missed calls, won't answer my texts. my graduation cap kept slipping its way off somehow despite how much i pinned it down.

i checked my phone again.

may 25, 2021
9:00 am

after searching the gym for a sign of him, my phone abruptly rang. i look at it quickly to see david's contact pop up. i answer it immediately.

"where are you." i ask sternly.

"i can't do this." he mumbled.

i walked around the main entrance in the empty college as i was talking to him on the phone, hoping to find him along the way.

"david, baby, you can do this. please just tell me where you are."

"i don't know how we're graduating today. it all seems too.."

"real?" i finished david's sentence, softly grinning through the phone, hoping he was too.

"yeah. real."

"look we're adults now. this is our life. well, at least the beginning of it.." i said.

"i guess you're right," david sighed, "we can do this."

just then david walks out of the library doors with his phone up to his ear. i slowly walk up to him with my phone still up to my ear.

"i love you dobrik." i smiled as we stood in front of each other, still on the phone.

"i love you more koshy."

we both hung up our phones and immediately hugged, but not too hard.

after we disconnected, i looked at david from head to toe. black graduation gown and cap. he looked so adorable. i can't believe i've been dating this boy for 4 years now.

"now let's get out on that football field and graduate." i said, reaching out for his hand.

david softly smiles and grabs my hand.

*****
"and now we would like to present our fellow future scientist, elizabeth koshy with our speech!" the man spoke through the microphone.

i took small steps up to the stage with the sun in my eyes, as i could hear all my graduates clap for me. david. gabbie. carly. erin. everyone that i loved through my 4 years here. and now, i was giving a speech.

"my first day here," i spoke, "was honestly a disaster."

the crowd chuckled.

"i didn't know where my dorm was and.. well i got stuck with gabbie hanna as a roommate."

everyone started to laugh and i could see gabbie with her blonde hair, pointing at me. i chuckled.

"i felt lost my freshmen year, even though i thought i had this all planned out.. i didn't. but eventually, i got into my groove. i met the greatest friends i could ever ask for... i met the love of my life."

i looked into the front row as david smiled at me with his big brown eyes.

"now i don't want to make this long and obnoxious, because i clearly cannot stand another single speech," i smiled, "but my fellow graduates, we are on the road to success, even if you think that you're not. we made it. we clearly made it. now i don't know about you but i think that's the greatest accomplishment so far in my life. and i can't wait to see what else life has in store for me. from friendships," i looked over at gabbie smiling, "to relationships," i glanced at david, "i know that i spent my 4 years here fighting. and it was worth it. here's to new life adventures! go bruins!" i smiled.

everyone clapped and cheered as i exited the stage and went back to my seat. i could feel david watching me as i sat down.

****
"alright graduates, everyone please rise."

we all stood in unison, ready to celebrate.

"turn your tassels from the right," the man spoke, "to the left."

we all proceeded to do so.

"congratulations to the class of 2021!"

we all cheered as we threw our caps into the air, it was like a movie. a dream.

i searched the crowd for david. as i was looking for him, i felt someone pick me up from behind. david.

i giggle while he swings me over his shoulder, his laughter going through my ears like a sweet melody.

"babe!" i laughed.

he put me down and i instantly jumped back into his arms as he held me, my legs wrapped around him tightly. david smelled of fresh laundry and the earth. his sweet cologne made me smile into his shoulder.

he placed me down gently, his hands still around my waist, my hands around his neck.

"we did it," i whispered, "we graduated."

our foreheads were touching.

it was silent for a couple seconds before david muttered the words,

"marry me."

ahhh! a flash forward? david didn't leave? what? i know it's a little confusing but you'll get all the info next chapter.. lol anyways i hope you guys liked the chapter, i'll be posting 2 more chapters and this story will be coming to an end.. ;-( also sorry for this chapter being a lil short! 💖✨ -em