Part 1

"Stop staring at me. It's weird and I can't sleep." Penny mumbled.

Liam jumped. He thought she was sleeping. "Oh. Sorry." he said, rolling to his other side, looking away for her. "I'm just happy you are here." he muttered, hurt.

Penny scooted closer to him, pressing her face into his back. "I'm happy I'm here, too. But, I'm tired. Don't be upset."

He rolled back to face her. "I'm not." He kissed her lightly, placing his forehead on her. Upsetting her was the last thing he wanted. He wanted her here, to stay, with him. He'd been praying for her to come to England for a month, ever since he left her. They'd had a fight. He wanted her to let go of her fears and trust him. She wanted to stay locked in the world they had created, a bubble of happiness. When she'd told him to leave, he had, calling her bluff, hoping she'd come to her senses. He'd just about given up hope when she'd finally appeared.

He'd met her a year ago. He was an international pop star, one of the most famous people on the planet.  He'd had it all, a huge house, more money than he could spend in a lifetime, fast cars and a beautiful woman by his side. Then, the band had decided they needed a break. He needed a break. Five years on the road was killing him. He was bloated, drinking and smoking, feeling sick all the time. He'd thought he'd spend time with Sophia, the love of his life, the girl he'd wanted since high school.

He was wrong. She didn't want the party to stop. She didn't want to date a guy who USED to be famous. She'd taken the fame he'd given her and left him broken, alone, lost.

It was his bandmate and best friend, Louis, who'd told him to leave the country, disappear, start over. He'd moved to Michigan, in the USA, to a tiny town. He'd found a tiny bed and breakfast place online, make a reservation for a month and left without telling a soul where he was going.

When he'd knocked on the door of the large blue house, he'd excepted a little old lady to answer the door and try to feed him cookies, but the door had opened, revealing the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen in his life, green eyes, long dark hair, full lips. She was striking and he'd loved her instantly. Convincing her to love him back was the hard part, but he'd won her heart and his soul back. She made him feel like a real person again. She'd shown him that life didn't need to be full of parties and booze. Sitting on the sofa, her feet his lap, watching TV while she read a book became his favorite way to spend an evening. She'd saved him. He was the happiest he'd ever been in his entire life and it had seemed to good to be true.

And it had been. He needed to go back to the life he'd life behind. As much as he'd loved the quiet life, he had family and commitments in England. He wanted to record music. She'd inspired him to write songs that his record label loved. He needed to go home.

She wasn't ready to leave her home. She was afraid. He tried to convince her to live her life, use her amazing artistic talent for more than teaching art to grade school children, a job she didn't love. In the end, she'd told him to leave, not knowing that the engagement ring she'd wanted to reassure her was waiting for her under the Christmas tree. He'd left it, hoping she'd open it and come to him.

He'd waited weeks, but she'd come. She'd given him his greatest wish, a chance to show her that they could make a life together, both of them getting what they wanted. She could paint and he could sing. Life together would be wonderful, he was sure of it.

"Don't kiss me. I can't do anymore." Penny said. "You've exhausted me."

Liam smiled, thinking about how he'd made her tired. When she'd come to the house, Sophia, his former girlfriend had opened the door. She'd come looking for her ski boots. He'd had to chase her down the road, telling her he loved her. Finally, he asked her to marry him, to make him the happiest man on Earth.

They'd walked back to the house, hand in hand, happy to be back together. When he'd opened the door, they were greeted by his giant dog, a Great Dane named Watson. The large black dog had taken right to her, jumping up and licking her face. It was the final sign he needed, she was the one. She was the key to his happiness. He could have everything he always wanted: Fame and a family of his own.

He closed his eyes, thinking about her beautiful face, hoping to dream about life he was going to make with her. Holding her close, he drifted off, falling into the first contented sleep he'd had in a month.