Part 42

Dan picked up Penny on Friday and took her out to the bar. It was pleasant to sit and talk with grownups that didn't pity her. "So," he said. "Are you glad to be back? There were so many rumors about where you went. I personally believed that you went to Paris, like you planned."

Penny laughed. "What were the other rumors?"

"Ugh, so many. Let's see, you ran off with an Arabic Prince? No, kidding. Honestly, most people just figured you were having a baby. Or that you moved to be with your boyfriend? What happened to him, anyhow? He still around?"

"Uh," Penny started, unsure of what answer. "No? We broke up and I don't think you'd believe me if I told you were he was."

Dan laughed. "I don't live under a rock, Cricket. I know who he is. I'm just wondering if you have stopped seeing him?"

Penny smiled. "Yes. I have."

"Alright then. I won't feel weird asking if you'd like to go to the movies tomorrow night?" He looked down, afraid to meet her eyes.

Penny thought. She didn't want to date. Ever. How did she tell him that without looking terrible? The easiest thing was to tell him the truth. "I'd like that, but, honestly, I'm not really looking to date."

Dan shrugged. "Okay, how about just as friends? We can pay for ourselves? I mean, I get it. He almost dies and then you show back up? Whatever happened must have not been easy. I understand that you don't want to jump right into something. "

Penny sat up straight. "What?"

"I understand?"

"No! He almost died? What are you talking about?" Penny asked.

Dan looked taken aback. "It was all over the news? He was drugged by his Personal Assistant?"

Penny's head was reeling. She didn't watch or look up the news about Liam. She didn't go on twitter or Instagram. Why hadn't anyone told her? Or maybe her family thought she knew and that is why she left? Penny excused herself and ran into the bathroom. Locking herself in a stall, she typed 'Liam Payne died' into google. She clicked on the first result.

Liam Payne, formally of One Direction, survives overdose

Liam Payne, 25, best known as the daddy of the super pop group One Direction, was rushed to hospital last week with an apparent drug overdose. It was reported that he had been given Rohyphol by his personal assistant, Jamie Wakefield, and had been found unresponsive in his luxury London flat.

Penny scanned the rest of the article. Jamie was in jail? Liam had pressed charges. She'd been giving him drugs for months? How had Penny not known? How had Penny not realized that something was seriously wrong with Liam?

Well, she had. She just decided that Liam loved drugs more than her. She'd gone back to being that insecure girl, questioning everything and everyone, not trusting herself or Liam. No wonder he felt 'like a fog' had been lifted. And the car accident? No wonder he didn't feel drunk after a few beers. He's been drugged for so long that he must have felt okay to drive. How had she not noticed that he only acted like an ass around Jamie? And he TOLD her he wasn't drunk that night at his flat. He'd said, "Not Drunk." Why didn't she listen? Jamie must have given him something the night of his birthday, something that made him act crazy. Everything seemed so clear now.

She texted him again, asking him to please call her. She waited, she willed the tiny 'read' to appear under the message.

'Ma'am?" Someone knocked on the stall. "Your friend sent me in to see if you were okay?"

"I'm fine!" Penny answered, drying her eyes. "Thank you." She stood up, opened the stall and went back to Dan. She knew now why Liam hadn't answered her. She wouldn't answer her either. How could she have left him? How?