Part 49

Marian tried to jump up and run to find Cricket. She couldn't. She couldn't even sit up. Instead, she screamed, yelling over and over, "SAM! CRICKET!"

The only person who arrived was Carly. "Why you yelling, Marry?"

"Carly, pull me out of this chair. Please."

Carly laughed and pulled on her arms. Slowly, they managed to sit Marian up. Sam appeared and helped her the rest of the way. "What are you hollering for? It's too soon to be time. Right? We have weeks, right?"

"No, Liam. Liam called. Where is Cricket?"

Carly jumped around. "LEEM? Is he done being on the TV now? I wanna talk to Leem." Carly grabbed Marian's phone and yelled into it. "Hi, Leem!" Then she took it away from her ear and looked at it. It was ringing. She slid it open and tried again. "Hi, Leem!"

Liam sighed. "Carly. Hi. Love, can I talked to Marian? Please?"

"Okay, Leem. Are you done being on TV? Are you coming home now? I like your new song, it's dancey but you forgot to put on your shirt. You should wear a shirt, Leem. Where's all your hairs? Did you get them a cut? I got mine cut."

"Please, Car." Liam begged. "I need Marian."

"Okay, she is here. She has a baby in her tummy so she can't walk good anymore. It's a boy baby. My mom has a baby in her tummy, too. I don't know what kind of baby yet." Carly kept babbling. Marian reached over to take the phone. "Hey! I didn't tell Leem about KitKit's baby."

Liam sucked in his breath. KitKit's baby. Penny really was pregnant.

"Liam? You hung up on me?" Marian said.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I just got....excited? Confused? I don't know. Is Penny pregnant? Is it my baby? Why didn't anyone call me? Wait. I know that. Wrong number. Anyhow, I'm coming. Right now. Like, I'm trying to book a ticket, okay? Should I call her? No, I'm just...I have to pack. Uh..."

Marian was laughing. "Calm down. She's not even due until June."

"No, I...you don't understand. I need to see her. To tell her..."

"She knows, Liam. She know." Marian tried to reassure him.

"She knows?"

Marian nodded and then said, "Yes."

Liam hung up again and dialed a different number. He wanted to hear her voice.