Part 20

Penny didn't make it home until nearly noon. She had forgotten about summer traffic. Everyone was headed north. She pulled into her driveway and called her mother, asking where to find her.

"Oh, Cricket! He's in surgery. They couldn't wait. He's having a bypass. We are in Saginaw. Why didn't you call?" her mother said.

Oh Damn, Penny thought. She'd passed them. Why hadn't she called? She'd barely even looked at her phone. She backed out of the drive and headed back south, more time in the car. If she drove fast, she could be there in an hour.

"Liam, we have two shows left. You can't leave the tour. Pack. We leave in a hour." Tony told Liam.

"Fuck you, Tony. I need to find her."

Tony sighed. "She's home. You don't need to find her. Jesus. Where is Jamie? You need to pack!"

"Here!" Jamie called, walking into the room. "Let's get packed." She busied herself, walking around the room, throwing things into his suitcase.

"Stop! I am not going anywhere!" Liam said, grabbing jeans from Jamie.

"What is wrong with you, Liam?" Jamie asked. "We need to move. You know the schedule. Vancouver, Calgary, done."

"Penny is gone!"

Jamie laughed. "She went home, Liam. Who do you think booked her ticket?"

Liam stopped and looked at Jamie. "WHAT?" he said, grabbing her arms.

"She had to go. She told you. Someone had a heart attack?" Jamie answered, trying to look innocent. Inside, she was overjoyed. She could be the one to comfort Liam. She finally had her chance to show him how great she was.

Liam dropped her arms and grabbed his phone.

Liam: Who is sick? Where is Penny?

Sam: She's right here, man. Jon had a heart attack.

Liam sat down and sagged in relief. Then he realized that he'd failed her. She needed him and he was too high to help her. What kind of man was he? Why was he doing this to himself again?

By the time Penny got to the hospital, Jon was out of surgery and everyone was sitting in a waiting room, waiting until he was taken to a room. Her mother had been allowed to go to recovery, but everyone else had to wait. Sam and Charlie were both there, along with their wives, Marian and Charlie. Carly, Charlie's daughter was asleep on a chair. She lay down on a nearby sofa and passed out from pure exhaustion.

Jamie dragged Liam out the hotel, pulling him by his hand, helping him into the car and then pulling him though the airport. She kept a smile on her face the entire time as cameras snapped. Liam had a hat on and his head down. She knew what she was doing. It looked like Liam had a new girlfriend and the new girlfriend was her. Her heart swelled with joy as every camera aimed their lenses at her.

Liam: Penny? Are you going to answer me?

Penny: Sorry, Lee. I'm exhausted. What's up?

Liam: I'm sorry. Can I call you? I'm sorry.

Penny: Sure!

Penny answered on the first ring. "Hey, Lee. How are you? Did you get packed okay?

Liam sighed. "Why are you being nice to me? Why aren't you angry with me?"

"Oh, Liam. I don't have time to be angry with you. My dad had triple bypass. You being a high as fuck asshole is becoming pretty common, you know."

Liam didn't speak. She was right. He didn't remember half of the tour because he was drunk, high or asleep. She'd been all over, seeing all of the tourist things she'd wanted to see. She even went to Disney alone. He was supposed to go, but he hadn't. Why hadn't he? "I don't even know what to say. I guess I need help? Why didn't you say anything?"

"Liam," Penny started, "I don't want to be that person, nagging you to love me. I'm used to being alone, you know that."

"Goddamnit, Penny! You deserve more! You know you do! I swore I'd never treat you badly and here I am, being an asshole to you. I've spent over a year showing you that I'm not like everyone else! I'm not Tom! I'm not just using you. But, now I am. I am." Liam started to cry.

"Liam. Stop crying. Please? Just, finish the tour and come here. Okay? I'll see you in 3 days." Pen said.

"IS THAT LEEM? I WANNA TALK TO LEEM!" Carly snatched the phone from Penny. "LEEM! Where are you? Why you not come see me?"

Despite himself, Liam laughed. "Hey, Carly. I'm coming soon. Okay?"

Carly nodded and then said "LEEM! Grampy has a WIRE stuck in his arm! It goes right in his arm! And he'd got a big scar. We was swimming and he stopped and sinked. He sinked and Daddy pulled him. And I saw a real ambulance."

She kept talking and Liam kept listening, wondering how he was going to make this right with Penny. What was he going to say? What was he going to do? He needed help. He had a problem. There, he thought. I admitted it. I have a problem with drugs and alcohol. Now, how do I fix it?