Part 43

Penny: Why didn't you tell me Liam almost died?

Marian: What are you talking about?

Penny: Liam ODed?

Marian: When? I don't follow his career anymore. You told me it was over and I didn't want to be the one to tell you things. He is out of control, you said. Sam and I are glad you came home!

Penny sent Marian the link to the article.

Marian: Oh, shit.

Penny: Yep.

Marian: Did you text him? Tell him?

Penny: Of course I did. He doesn't answer. He doesn't even know about the baby.

Marian: Baby???????????

Marian: What BABY?

Penny's phone rang. "Are you pregnant?" Marian's voice screamed out over the phone? "How? I mean, when? I mean, WHAT?"

"Uh, ya. I am? Are you mad?"

Marian screamed. "NO! OMG, our babies will be best friends! Oh! Have a girl, Cricket! Please. Then our kids can get married!!"

"That is gross, Marian." Penny laughed. "They are cousins."

Marian sighed. "Step cousins. Step! Sam isn't really your brother."

"And, what? Are you having a boy??"

Marian laughed. "Ya. Sorry. We just found out. We were supposed to tell everyone next weekend? Your mom invited everyone over? For an announcement? OH CRAP! You are the announcement, aren't you?"

"Oh, Marian. If you only knew."

She heard Marian huff. "Spill it, Peters."

"Charlie is pregnant, too. You are due in May. I am due in June and Charlie is due in September."

Marian didn't say anything for a long time. Penny could hear her breathing. Finally, Sam came on the line. "What did you say to her? Her face is absolutely purple." Penny recapped everything and asked Sam if he knew about Liam. "I didn't. Do you want me to call him? He might answer the phone for me? Hey, look, Marian is losing it. I have to go. I'll call." Sam hung up the phone.

Sam: He didn't answer.

Penny: It's ok.

Sam: It's NOT okay. Marian told me. He needs to know. He needs to help you.

Penny: I'm really okay. With all of the babies coming, I'm sure I'll be able to borrow, beg or steal what I need. Congrats on your son!

Sam: Don't distract me.

Penny: Are you going to name him Sam Jr?

Sam: I will get ahold of him

Penny: Let it go. Which you don't need to learn the words to because you are having a boy!

Sam: You always were a pain in the butt.

The weekend came and Marian faked surprise over the news of the impeding baby boom. Sam pulled Penny aside and told her that Liam hadn't answered him. He'd even asked Jon to contact him, but nobody was hearing anything from him. "Have you seem pictures of him lately? He looks...weird? Like he has gone Hollywood, completely and not just the chest hair."

Penny laughed. She had decided to keep tabs on him for the time being. Carly had discovered that she could ask the TV to show her "Leem Pains singing" and his videos would play. He had three different song out and on the latest one, his style had changed. And weird was probably the kindest thing her bother could have said. Sam was a country boy at heart. Jeans, tee shirts, a dirty truck, those things he understood. Liam had begun dressing more urban. Gold chains, shiny sweat pants, baseball caps that looked brand new. He was a different person, it seemed. It didn't really surprise Penny, and at the same time, it made some things easier. He didn't seem like the person she knew and had loved.