Part 25

"Penny!" Liam yelled. "Are you okay?"

Penny took a second to see if she was hurt. She didn't think she was. She hit the airbag, instead of the airbag hitting her, so her face was intact, unlike the last time she crashed her truck. "I'm fine. I'm fine. Get out of the car, Liam. Now. I was driving, do you understand? I was driving."

Liam shot her a look of fear and jumped out of the car. Penny slid over to the driver's side. Liam walked over to look at the deer, it was definitely dead, as a car slowly approached. "You okay, son?" the driver called. "My wife is calling the cops right now."

The man pulled to the side of the road and went over to the deer. "Yep, she's dead. Looks young. Probably heading over to the field over there." He said, vaguely pointing to the other side of the road. "Don't see them much this time of year." The man keep talking and Liam stopped listening. He heard sirens and saw lights approaching from the direction of Oscoda. If they were coming from Oscoda, Penny knew them.

The policeman pulled to the side of the road, got over and walked over to the men. "You hurt?" he asked. Liam shook his head and pointed to the truck. Penny was still sitting inside. The cop walked over and Liam followed. He shined his light into the truck and Penny raised her hand to cover her eyes. "Hey!" he said. "Cricket! You okay? What happened? Didn't Jon teach you not to turn the wheel? Hit the damn things straight on. Less damage to your car and the meat. She's inedible now. You hit the back of her. Probably burst her guts. Shame." He stopped talking and shook his head again. "You need a doctor?"

Penny smiled at the officer. "No, Matt. I'm ok. Just bruised. Guess the fancy 'autostop' on this fancy car doesn't work for deer, uh?" She tried to laugh.

"Guess not! Anyhow, step out. I have to give you a test, just in case. Sorry, Crick. Policy." he said. He took Penny though a sobriety test, making her walk a straight line and answer questions. He decided she wasn't drunk and starting filling out his report.

The tow truck pulled up, hooked up her truck and again, called her by name. Liam just stood, looking down at the deer. He'd never killed anything before. I mean, maybe a bug? But never anything else. He didn't know how to feel. He could have killed Penny. He could have killed himself. He could have been another tragic Hollywood story, young superstar dies, driving drunk. He didn't feel drunk, but no doubt, he had alcohol in his blood.

Liam felt like he was floating, watching himself, watching Penny. She told the tow truck where to take the car. She signed the police report. She thank the nice couple who stopped to help them. Before Liam knew what was even really happening, he was in Sam's truck, heading home.

Penny walked Liam into the house and sat him on the couch. "You haven't said much. Are you sure you are okay?" she asked.

Liam nodded. "I'm just...shocked? Overwhelmed? I'm not sure? I am so sorry, Pen. I could have killed you, me! Both of us!"

Penny sighed. "That's why you don't drink and then drive."

"I wasn't drunk!" Liam felt defensive. He didn't think he was drunk. Buzzed maybe, but not drunk. "Anyone would have hit that deer!" he said.

"So, you think you could have passed a breathalyzer? Let me call Matt. Hang on." Penny reached for her phone. Liam held out his hand and pushed hers down. She sighed and dropped her phone on the couch then sank down next to him. "What do I have to say to convince you, Liam?"

Liam shook his head. "I'll call someone. I'll set something up. I guess I can't have just one drink. Do you think...I mean...could I be?"

"And Alcoholic? I don't know. I just don't know." Penny stood up. "I'm sore and tired. Let's go to bed." She reached out her hand again and pulled Liam up and led him up the stairs.

By the time they woke up the next day, both sore and covered with bruises, Jon was on his way home. Penny's mom had called as said they would be home for lunch. Everyone was expected to be there. They pulled on their swimsuit and Liam gasped. "Pen! Look at you!" he said.

She looked down and shrugged. "Seatbelt." she said. She pointed at Liam. "You have one, too."

He looked down at the stripe across his chest. "Jesus." he said.

Penny just nodded and led him next-door. They helped arrange a comfortable chair for Jon on the patio. He had told Jane that he was tired of being inside and planned on laying on the patio, reading for the next few week. The doctor had told him to take it easy. No boats, no jet skis, no lawn mowing, no working at all. He planned to listen.

Once he was home and settled, everyone fussed over him until he shewed them all away. "Liam. You stay. Let everyone else get me some lunch." Liam sat down next to Jon and sighed. He knew he was in for a lecture. "So, son. You know she's my only daughter, right?" Liam nodded. "And you know I'm trusting you to take care of her, right?" Liam nodded again. "And I've never felt uncomfortable with her being so far away because I was sure you knew that I'd put you in the wood chipper if anything ever happened to her."

Liam gulped. "I know, sir." he muttered. "It was an accident. I mean, a deer, and Penny didn't see it...."

"Stop. Listen. I know my kid. She knows that you don't swerve for a deer. I know my kid. She knows that you hit that thing dead on and the damage on the truck is along the passage side." Liam tried to speak. Jon held up a hand. "Don't. Look at your chest. If Penny was driving, why is her bruise on her right shoulder? I don't know why she lied, but I do know that I've taught her better. Next time, Liam? I'll make her come home and I'll make you disappear." Jon leaned his head back and closed his eyes, letting Liam know that he was done talking.

Liam cleared his throat. "Yes, sir." he said. Then he stood up and walked back to the Lake House to call his manager. He needed to find a way to get the help he needed.