Human Ape in Training

2 years later...

"Again!"

Giovanni's voice boomed as I pulled the string of my bow back as hard as I can before releasing it but...it hit the outside circle of the mark.

"You must focus on your target! Never show any hesitation of pulling!"

If my voice wasn't as damaged as it was now, I would have screamed. This was like torture!

Ever since I've turned five, Giovanni (whom I consider as an uncle) has been pushing me to train much harder than the rest of the apes.

Why me?!

I huffed and tried again and to my relief, it hit at the side of the red mark.

"Take a break for a while before we start training again"

Giovanni said before heading off towards the rest of the other trainees.

A familiar hoot reached my ears and I was suddenly face flat in the ground with my brother on my back.

"How's training?" He asked in an innocent look. I glared and pushed him off of me "You know...the usual"

"What's the usual?"

"If you don't want your ape ass get kicked then I suggest you clamp your mouth shut"

He was wise to shut his mouth after that. I stood up and walked towards the alcove when mother's midwife suddenly hooted excitedly.

My eyes widen and I could actually picture Ryker doing just that when father hastily climbed up on the alcove not bothering to even use the stair vines in his haste.

Ryker and I were still standing still as stones when one of the apes hooted us back to reality.

I dashed up the vines and into mother and father's alcove to see the midwives crowding around them excitedly.

What on earth is going on?

Ryker was behind me and one of the midwives gestured the others to let us pass.

There was mother, lying on the soft moss bed with father holder her face tenderly and in mother's arms...was a small baby ape.

Father saw us and signed slowly "come meet your younger brother...Livius" Ryker pushed me towards them and I hesitantly held out my fore finger for Livius to take.

"He's beautiful..." That was all I could sign as I gave mother a proud smile. Her smile widened and closed her eyes to rest.

Ryker hesitantly gave Livius to one of the midwives for him to be cleaned and get him settled in.

Giovanni came in and when he saw father's expression, he grinned "I think she did a job well done Jules" Julius glared halfheartedly at the nickname.