San Bruno Primate Shelter

I looked at the closed walls around me and I felt so trapped and so small. Everything around me was new and a threat.

"Hey Rodney!" The human pushing the cage called and a tall, lean (but skinny to my eyesight) human came bounding in. One quick look at me and he gasped.

"Why is there a human girl in he cage? Not that I mind her clothes"

His eyes roamed me and primal instincts kicked in as I shot my hand out to pull him towards me and used my other hand to hit his face...hard.

A satisfying crack from his nose added to it bleeding made me satisfied enough. He yelped and held his nose and the human behind me laughed. What's so funny about this?

"Careful Rodney, she's a fighter I'll bet"

"No kidding, sure hope Dodge would break her spirit"

I snarled, already these men screamed danger and they were not going to be withing 10 feet away from me without having injury.

The Rodney human took charge of the cage and I was once again being pushed off to who knows where.

***

It didn't take long for me to know when I was coning out when we entered a place that was filled with weird looking objects that looked like vines and a tree stood in the center of this place.

Despite the nature looking place, it never felt the familiar warmth that home used to give me before I was taken away.

The Rodney human opened the cage and I leaped out and hunched my back towards him and snarled, baring my teeth to show my anger.

"Lady, you ate something" The Rodney human said before closing the door and locking it. I went over to it and pounded on the door with such force that it rattled a bit but it never gave way.

I growled and looked around to find any escape paths I could take but it was no use. This place was heavily built.

I climbed on top of the dead tree in the center and sat there for a while when hordes of apes came in, looking sad and listless.

I blinked, so there were apes being held here. I wonder if they have the same situation I have. To be taken away from your family and homeland to a place so unknown to you...

I was pulled out of my thoughts when an ape suddenly hooted angrily and charged at me full speed.

The apes saw me and hooted wildly. The ape charged and tried to catch me but I easily dodged his attacks (thanks to me avoiding getting hit by my brother)

The apes then hooted wildly again and again and I ran on all fours away from the enraged ape when I felt a stinging pain on my head and I noticed an object marked "gasoline" lay on the ground.

Refusing to be humiliated in front, I turned and snarled. Accepting his challenge to fight.

The apes and the ape in from of me grew silent at my sudden response and I wondered if I said or did something wrong.

I eyed the ape in front of me warily. This ape seemed to be the leader of this herd. I prepared myself for another round of attack when an orangutan came charging in and stood in front of me.

The apes around me began to hoot in protests when the orangutan roared. The ape leader consented the orangutan and they soon dispersed.

I looked at the orangutan in confusion. Instead of attacking me, the orangutan smiled and signed "do you know sign?"

I blinked in shock "how did you know sign?" The orangutan's eyes brightened.

"My name is Maurice, I am a circus ape. I have known how to sign ever since I was but a baby chimp"

"The name is Kira, daughter of Julius and Amelia"

As Maurice and I signed away a loud ring suddenly reached my ears and I covered them, all the while hissing.

"Time to go back to the cages" Maurice signed sadly as he walked out of the place with the rest of the apes.

I just stood there for a moment not knowing what to do when the doors opened and a human with yellow fur on his head stood with a red stick that seem to light up in the end.

"Get back in the cage you savage!" The humans screamed and I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

He suddenly stabbed me to the side and an electrical pain surged through me.

I yelped and hissed before I punched him and started hooting wildly.

More humans suddenly came running in with the same weapons that made me sleepy.

I snarled when Maurice suddenly entered and hooted at the two legs.

He grabbed my arm and he slowly led me out of the room to another part of this prison.

Cages were lined up on the walls and I hooted in panic. Maurice gave me a reassuring smile before he entered a specific cage and I was about to follow when I was suddenly slammed onto another cage.

"That's where you stay savage!" The yellow haired tow legs said with his stick in hand. I snarled and bared my teeth and he sneered at me before he left.

I walked around the uncomfortable cage and tried to settle in some sleep.

Here I am in a new place, a new world with no idea what to do. For a moment I felt helpless when Giovanni's words entered my mind.

Always keep calm when things are not well.

I breathed in and out and stared at the moon with a longing gaze.

Oh, the only thing that would calm me down is my family and my home.

I better get used to this life if I need to survive.