Meeting Caesar

3 years later...

I lay down on my cage and sighed. During these past years Maurice taught me what he knows about the humans and when he told me I was one of them I responded harshly saying that they are heartless monsters who takes things for their own.

However, there were those who I might consider as friends. Maurice is the first friend I have in this dreadful prison. I might even consider him as my adoptive uncle.

Next was a gorilla who was separated from the rest of us (I heard his name was Buck). At first he was hostile and wary about me when I tried to start a conversation to him but now we hoot from time to time.

The ape that attacked me when I first came here (which I found out his name was rocket which clearly suited his characteristics as a...angry ape type of male) kept his distance from me on the first few days of my stay and I did the same to him.

Eventually we made small hooting conversations and I was a bit feeling relived that others were already starting to warm up on me.

***

I was currently sleeping on my makeshift leaf bed when I heard the apes hooting wildly and the annoying human (I now know as Dodge) screaming, I opened my eyes and saw the human dragging a protesting ape wearing human clothing.

I grew confused, almost every ape I see never wears clothes. Unless...

He is one of them!

I sat up on alert and hunched my back and snarled when Dodge came into my cage.

I bared my teeth when he opened the cage next to me and threw the startled ape in. He left but not before sneering at all of us (including me but I responded by sticking my tongue out)

The new ape huddled in a corner, looking mildly scared and confused. The apes around me screamed at him in anger once they saw what he was wearing and I immediately roared at them to stop.

Feeling satisfied that they stopped the racket I lay down
on my bed to go back to sleep but I saw Maurice making sign language and my head snapped to the new ape in question.

I hooted to get his attention "you know sign?" The new ape nodded "learned from father. He left me here" I blinked in confusion. His father left him here?

How could a father leave his own son?

Realization hit me like a bolt of lightning, his father was a human male!

I felt anger towards that human that left this ape here in this hell of a shelter.

***

I woke up to hear the cage doors opening and all apes scurried to the fake forest which Maurice calls it a play room.

I merely sighed and lay back on my bed. I really don't feel like going out anyway, these past months or is it years? I don't know but I'm starting to think my family is leaving me behind.

Don't think like that Kira! You have to have faith in those you trust!

My thoughts were suddenly broken by a series of loud hooting and screaming. I stood up and walked out of my cage to see the new ape and Rocket (is he holding a gasoline tank?!) Running around in circles.

I walked out of my cage to stand next to Maurice who stared at the two. The apes hooted wildly at both of them and I was fearing one of them might get hurt.

It seems fate really has a terrible way in answering my thoughts when the new ape and Rocket started to climb on the tree.

I visibly tense when the new ape suddenly jumped and clung onto a brach a few feet high from the ground.

Rocket jumped after him and to my surprise and horror, he literally bit the new ape's hand making him fall (all the while hitting a few branches on his descent)

I snarled and dashed up front, before the new ape could hit the ground, I tackled him and we rolled across the floor and I ended up pinned beneath him.

Good news, he's not hurt that much and so am I. Bad news, this ape is TOO close for comfort!

I shoved him off of me and stepped back as the new ape tried to stand up. Rocket was suddenly in front of me and he started hooting angrily.

"You protect a traitor to ape kind?!"

"He did nothing wrong Rocket!" I wildly hooted back. We growled and glared at one another when something hit me behind.

Deja vu...

The last thing I heard was Maurice hooting wildly and two more thuds echoed in my ears.

The world went black.

***

I groaned and woke up to find myself in the leaf bed I had just created. The apes were in their cages too.

How did I get here?

I looked at the cage across me and looked at Maurice. He signed "Dodge, he carried you here"

I shivered, the image of him doing that sent me into a world of disgust and horror.

Great, I probably have his scent on me!

I growled when I heard movement and saw the new ape slowly waking up.

"Rise and shine sleeping ape" I signed. The new ape turned around and looked confused for a moment before his gaze settled on me.

"You save me?" I wanted to roll my eyes. I think he was the closest ape to see that.

"Better stay away from Rocket next time ape. He's not fond with..."

It was then did I notice that he wasn't wearing the clothing humans usually wear.

He noticed my confused expression and he signed grimly "he tore it apart. It was from my Will"

It made me smile knowing his faith on his family isn't straining and his situation is probably similar to mine.

"Never got to properly introduce myself, I'm Kira"

His eyes brightened and he suddenly held my hands. (which freaked my out a bit) His eyes never left mine as he signed.

"I'm Caesar"

"Nice to meet you Caesar"

"You too...Kira"