My Ape Family

I looked at Caesar and at Father who remained silent after Caesar asked that question.

The apes around us made silent noises. Each wondering what was going to be the final decision.

***

The entire family knew the couldn't just give Kira up not that they have been separated from her far too long however her happiness also mattered to them.

"Kira, we shall have a family talk" father signed. I gulped, I know they weren't the type of apes to give things up easily unless the explanation is valid.

I gave Caesar a reassuring squeeze on his hand before following my family to a secluded place.

***

Caesar could not help but to shift his foot as he watched Kira disappear from his sight with her family.

He really didn't know why but he wanted her to stay with him and his fellow apes.

"Caesar..."

He turned to face Maurice who signed with a worried look "you look troubled" Caesar gave a weak smile and shook his head.

"It is nothing Maurice"

Maurice frowned, he may have known the chimpanzee for a short period of time but he knew the ape leader took a liking to the female human ape.

He just hoped the outcome would not end up badly.

***

I looked up at my parents who remained impassive for at least a few minutes already.

I gave out a small hoot and they started signing "you know it is hard for us to let you go now that we got you back..." Mother signed and I bit my lip.

Guess I really have to say goodbye to Caesar.

Father suddenly signed just as I was about to prepare for the signs that I was going to stay with them.

"However, your happiness matters. We are giving you free will to choose"

My mouth dropped open in surprise. My parents rarely ever gave either me or Ryker free will on doing things we want (for safety and protection they say...)

I smiled before signing grimly "I really liked to be with Caesar the reason I don't know why but I also want to live with my family"

I but my lip again, nine of this is making sense to me when father hooted "I know a place where Caesar and his fellow apes can live away from the humans at the same time, it is not far from our current residence"

I think my face lit up like the sun as I embraced mother and father "Thank You!" I squealed before racing back to Ryker who was beside Livius.

I grinned and embraced them both (shocking Ryker in the process) and Livius giggled at the sudden hug.

"Woah, Woah, Woah... What's gotten into your head to be all..." Ryker gestured to my smiley face, clearly disturbed.

I laughed before patting his head "you can thank mother and father for this, right now I have a certain ape I need to talk too."

I left the two of them with Ryker blinking like he was trying to process what just happened.

***

Caesar couldn't help but sigh in relief when Kira served from the trees. The apes around them looked at her and she signed "we're all going home now" they nodded and Caesar felt his stomach drop.

She's leaving with them...

He always knew Kira had a family of her own but as the days during their imprisonment he had hoped she would become part of his family.

But that was just wishful thinking.

***

I noticed the grim mood Caesar had as I slowly walked towards him. The apes behind him gave me confused hoots as to why I am still here when I should be going with the scouts.

I grasped Hus hands and he looked up at me and for a moment, I was lost in pools of emerald.

Snap out of it Kira!

I blinked then grinned "well, are you coming?" The apes behind him (those who knew me better) gave cheers of excitement and Maurice gave me a smile.

Caesar's mood lightened as I proceeded to drag him with the rest of the apes following him after my now retreating family.

I never knew my human parents or my relatives but I do know my beloved ape family.

And this is the best family a female can have.

End