Chapter 11

"Keep digging!"

"The humming is getting louder!"

"We're definitely getting closer!"

They had been digging for what felt like hours and they were finally so close to the bunker. Clarke wasn't even paying attention to what she was doing. She just kept grabbing debris and throwing it to the side. She was so zoned in that she didn't even realize there wasn't any more debris to move. After 20 minutes of intense digging, the bunker door came into view.

"Oh my god" Clarke whispered to herself.

"We finally did it." Bellamy was soon going to be able to hug his sister for the first time in six years.

Everyone has stopped digging by now and just stared at the door that led to the bunker. Everyone was silent for a minutes as they stared at the door.

"Wait how we going to open it? Last time we had a key remember?" Monty spoke up, realizing that even though they got to the door it was going to stay closed.

"Maybe we can pry it open somehow?" Harper asked in an unsure voice.

"Do you have any tools lying around?" Bellamy asked Clarke, hoping her answer would be yes.

She shook her head in response. "No." She paused for a few seconds while she thought. They didn't have any tools, they had something better instead. "But we have a rover" Clarke said as she looked over at Bellamy.

"Like when we opened the other bunker we found with Jaha. Good idea Clarke." Bellamy was already in motion before he even finished his sentence.

Clarke ran to the back of the rover grabbing the only rope she had. We're screwed if this breaks she thought to herself. She handed it off the Bellamy, who started tying one end to the front of the rover. Everyone else was moving debris out of the rover's way to make it easier for it to back up. Bellamy finished the tying knots on both the rover and on the bunker door. Everyone moved out the way as Bellamy got inside the trunk. He started backing up slow at first, not wanting to break the rope. Once he saw that the rope was holding up he pressed down on the gas. Clarke didn't think she could hold her breath for as long as she did. She felt she didn't take a single breath as she watch Bellamy push the rover to its limits.

That is until she heard a pop.

Clarke gasped as she heard the pop come from the door. It hadn't opened but she knew it was coming loose. She wasn't the only one to hear it either. Looking at her friends, she saw they wore the same shock expression that she did. A few more pulls from the rover and the door popped again. This time she saw it move, opening just the slightest. She reached out to Madi, who was standing beside her and grabbed her hand. Madi gave her hand a small squeeze as they watched Bellamy slowly pull the door open with the rover. Bellamy jumped out of the rover when the door was opened just enough for them to slip down the stairs. He walked over to the group as the continued to stare at the open door.

"Are you guys ready for this?" He asked the group.

Clarke turned to look at Madi. "Are you ready to meet your family?" Madi just nodding eagerly in response, happy to meet more people Clarke has told her about. 

"Did you hear that?" Octavia looked up at the ceiling of the bunker as she asked Indra.

"Yes. It sounded like it came from the ceiling but that would be impossible." Octavia could tell Indra was already on edge. It had been a long, hard six years in the bunker, and it had taken its toll on everyone.

"It probably was just debris shifting above us, nothing we haven't heard before."

They both brushed off the sound and continued with what they were working on before. The two had been discussing food rations when they heard the noise. Octavio rolled her head side to side, trying to relieve some of the tension caused by all the built of stress she's had to deal with. Things have gotten especially stressful in the past year for the group in the bunker. Food reserves started dwindling and everyone was on edge knowing they could've been out of the bunker a year ago.