Chapter 8

This is currently one of my favorite songs for the summer! ❤️🙌🏼

****

I was driving home today, I didn't want to leave considering I feel like I never get to see Paige and I desperately missed my best friend, but considering that this was my last semester in school I would hopefully get to see her more often.

"Hey bitch. You ready to leave me today?" Paige said as she rolled from the back of the couch directly above me. I groaned in pain when I got a sharp elbow to the rips. -Shit I guess that's what Cam felt the other day- I spit out her hair that had found its way into my mouth trying to unsuccessfully detangle myself from the giraffe.

"I mean if this is what I have to look forward too then, yes. I am." I said scowling at her which she didn't see because she was still laying on top of me.

"Bitch."

"Jerk." I replied chuckling. She finally went to her side of the couch but kept her long legs sprawled over my lap, ever the elegant person she is. A beat of silence passed before she opened her mouth.

"Are you happy, like truly, really happy?" She asked looking at me quizzically.

"Truthfully? I don't even know anymore." I blew a breath out. "At one time, I would have looked at you like you had just told me that you shot Lincoln if you'd asked me because it was so clear how crazy I was for that man."

"And now?" She urged

"And now... now I don't know. I mean we've been together for so long, 7 years Paige! And we're engaged, I can't just leave him. What would everyone say?"

"Fuck em, who cares what everyone has to say it's not their life."

"That's easy for you to say." I dropped my head back onto the sofa staring at the ceiling.

"You don't have to have this life. If you decide that you're no longer set for this life, then fucking leave babe. You never should sacrifice your own happiness for some guy, who can't even realize what he has in front of him. You are a dime! You are smart, loyal, got a great ass, and you are understanding and incredibly compassionate. Shit if I didn't like dick so much, I'd try to steal you!" She said finishing dramatically wiggling her eyebrows at me. I laughed rolling my eyes tossing the throw pillow I held to my chest at her face.

"I KNOW I don't have to have this life, but I'm comfortable. I know Ryan, I know what to expect, he's safe, AND he's already passed my mother's seal of approval." I said glancing away from her as she scoffed at the mention of my mother.

"Fuck that lady. She is a conniving, patronizing, little shit. You know if she were like 20 years younger she'd try to sleep with Ryan, actually I'm not convinced that she wouldn't in the first place. Gag me with a spoon." She said, shuddering from repulsion with no doubt the image that popped up.

"Even then, she'd probably find him a bore in bed too!" I said ugly laughing as Paige roared with laughter too. We quieted down after a few moments, "But seriously, can you imagine the kind of reaction she'd have if I ended things with Ryan?"

"I would imagine her head would implode from having to answer all those questions from those snooty ass ladies at the club, could you imagine the meltdown?" She said before getting serious once again. "It's not her life though, she's not the one living it, you are. You deserve to be happy and find the man... or men..." -she shot me a quick sly smirk- "that would treat you like the amazing person you are. Screw Ryan and his horrible priorities and his job, and his selfish behavior, and his holier-than-thou attitude. Like he didn't go to the same middle-class school we did, and lived in the same neighborhood." She said crossly.