Gearing Up For War

Cailey, Nick, and Brianna had unloaded all the guns and ammunition out of the truck and were making sure every weapon was filled to the max.

"Don't forget our weapons, comrade." One of the Rippers said to Nick as another backed up a truckload of weapons. The Rippers had a dozen rifles, three shotguns, and a box of grenades. As they were working with the guns, I got together with my best friends, Zach and Ben.

"So.. This is it." Zach said awkwardly. I nodded.

"This is it.." I repeated.

"Are you guys ready?" Ben asked. Zach nodded and I shrugged. It was definite that some will die tomorrow and this was the last time we were all together.

"I just want you guys to know.. I don't know if I ever would have gotten this far without you. If I die tomorrow there's some things I want you to know.." I started.

"Don't.. Don't start getting mushy, D." Zach said, tearing up. I felt my heart start to pump a bit faster and got a lump in my throat.

"No, I need to say this." I said shakily. First I looked straight at Ben. I pulled out my revolver and held it by the barrel for him to take. "Ben, I want you to have my revolver if I don't make it tomorrow."

"Thank you.." He said looking down at it. He gripped it tightly with his hand and rubbed it gently with the end of his other arm. I pulled him in for a hug and patted his back.

"I'm taking it back if I live though." I said laughing. He smiled and I turned toward Zach.

"You don't have to give me anything." Zach said waving his hand.

"I know. Zach, if the smoke clears tomorrow and I'm not still standing, I'm leaving you in charge." I said to him. He was silent. "And please, take care of your daughter."

"I will, brother." He said as I hugged him. Now that all the sappy crap was over we could get to work. There were plenty of guns and plenty of us. Ben made sure everyone had at least one weapon and a few extra rounds of ammo. This time, and this time only, I let Maddie have a gun. Zach was helping Elizabeth and Victor map out the battle field in LA with her maps. We kept Emilie alive to tell us about what her army had against us. It sounded like brute force and heavy weaponry. Fun... And I went around supervising and helping with anything necessary. I gave my pep talk to anyone who was doubting themselves.

"We will not fall." I would say to them. "We have something they don't. Each other."

This was the final countdown. Little did I know that tomorrow would be the ultimate Hell on Earth.