↠ prologue

Date: May 7th, 2052 (2 days before the bombs)
Location: Atlas Science Institution; Washington D.C.

     "Please state your full name and age for the record."

     "My name is Elaine Rae Sawyer, and I'm twenty-one years old."

     "And why have you chosen our program, Elaine?"

     "It's Lane. I prefer to be called Lane."

     The scratching sound of the doctor's pen moving swiftly across the paper attached to the clipboard in her hands halted as she looked up through her round glasses which had slipped down to the bridge of her nose. The doctor looked curiously at the girl sitting across the table from her in the chilly, confined room that seemed to put her on edge. She set down her brown clipboard and pen and laced her fingers together on the table, her blindingly white lab coat sleeves being pushed up slightly.

     The doctor studied the brunette for the first time. She noticed her determined greyish green eyes that were completely alert. Her muscles were tensed up, as if someone was about to run into the room and pull a gun on her. Her olive skin had a few cuts and bruises here and there. The doctor concluded that the girl before her wasn't entering the program because she believed in Atlas's predictions about the end of the world. She was entering the program to escape.

     The doctor reached out in front of her and pressed the off button on the recorder in the middle of the table, "And who are you running from, Lane?"

     Not much emotion emitted from Lane's face, but her pupils widened ever so slightly with alarm, "Why would you think I'm running from someone?"

     "Because you're nothing like all the other applicants we've had," Lane glanced down at her hands that were rested in her lap. "Everyone else is here because they genuinely believe our predictions about the chaos heading for us, but sitting here with you I can tell you're not a believer. So, if you're not here because you think the world is ending soon, then why else would you want to go into a two-hundred year long hyper sleep?"

     Lane shrugged her shoulders, "Curiosity."

     "Curiosity?" The doctor questioned with raised eyebrows.

     Lane nodded, "I want to see what the world will be like two hundred years from now."

     "There won't be much left to see," the doctor still didn't seem to be able to get Lane to open up. She continued to refuse to give anything away. "Well, what about your family? They won't be around when you wake up, you know."

     "My family is gone," Lane crossed her arms over her chest. "So there's no one left in this world I care about seeing again, anyway. Doesn't that make me the perfect applicant? No attachments?"

     The doctor picked up her pen again, "You do know that we only accept seventy-five people don't you? And that this whole process is extremely expensive?"

     "Money isn't an issue either."

     The doctor sighed, 'I'm sorry, Lane, but we can't accept people with unclear motives, so if you aren't prepared to start telling the truth I will have to move on to the next person in line." Lane's eyes finally flickered up from the table. Her lips remained closed in a hard line that yelled how reluctant she felt about confessing why she wanted to join the program. "Well?"

     A few moments of thick silence passed in the room before the brunette spoke, "You were right," Lane's voice was barely audible.

     "Right about what?"

     Her eyes returned to the table again; like she was ashamed, "I am running from someone."

     "Who are you running from, Lane?"

    Lane seemed to be struggling within herself. Whoever she was running from obviously was a powerful person who wanted to stay secretive.

     Finally, Lane slowly lifted her grey eyes back up to meet the doctor's. "He wants to kill me."

     "Why does he want to kill you?"

     "Because I know about ALIE," she answered. "I know everything."

amazing banner bystrayinspace

amazing banner by
strayinspace

Ok, so what do you guys think? My previous Bellamy Blake story wasn't really going that well because I lost inspiration, but I really love writing this one. Please leave feedback and tell me if I should continue this story.

Also, I wanna say a huge shout out to @WiinterSol for making the amazing trailer for this story!!  She did a fantastic job and is the person to go to if you want an awesome trailer for your book.