17 ↠ boiling tensions

LANE COULD FEEL THE boiling tension radiating from everyone all the way back to Arkadia

     LANE COULD FEEL THE boiling tension radiating from everyone all the way back to Arkadia. The solemn faces of the people around her made Lane feel their pain. Azgeda had just blown up Mount Weather leaving only two survivors: Raven and Sinclair. Everyone else was dead; murdered. The anger of the people of Arkadia wouldn't be satisfied easily. Lane knew that. maybe the fact of their eventual lust for vengeance was why she chose to go back to their camp. In the back of her mind, she knew some of them wouldn't be able to separate Azgeda from all the other grounders. She knew war was brewing in the background.

     Her predictions were confirmed when she hopped out of the Rover outside Arkadia. Above the gate, she spotted way more guards than usual, and all of them had their rifles pointed towards the woods with an intense grip on the handles. 

     Bellamy hadn't said a word the entire trip back to Arkadia. Lane's heart hurt for him. Gina had been in Mount Weather. She was gone too. 

     But the slaughter of the innocent people at the hand of Azgeda wasn't Lane's only concern. Every night, she had violent flashbacks of her time with ALIE. Lane had a terrible gut feeling that at any given moment, the A.I. would return, and then Azgeda would be the least of people's worries. ALIE wouldn't care if someone was a grounder or a sky person. She would kill everyone to get what she wanted. 

     Lane did her best to keep her terrifying memories at bay, but they haunted her dreams, and she knew they wouldn't go away anytime soon. 

     "Well, look who finally came back."

     Lane turned her head to see Miller strolling up to her. She gave him a warm smile, "I missed you too, Miller."

     "How's your grounder boyfriend?" She heard another voice ask. Lane rolled her eyes when she saw Monty joining them.

     "Shut up, Monty. He's not my boyfriend."

     "Whatever you say," Monty teased before walking passed her towards Kane and Abby. 

     Lane's eyes fell on Bellamy as he walked away from everyone without a single word. She felt a tugging feeling in her chest. Go talk to him. Her brain was yelling at her to comfort him.

      She gave into her thoughts, telling Miller she would be right back. Lane went in the direction she saw Bellamy leave and searched for him for a few minutes. She found him at the bar, already downing a shot of who knew what. Jasper poured him another, drunk as always.

     "Lane! Holy shit, my drinking buddy is back!"

     Lane sat down beside Bellamy, giving Jasper an annoyed look, "Can you give us a minute, Jasper?"

     Jasper looked between Lane and Bellamy with a smug look, "Sure thing."

     A moment of silence hung in the air between the two as Lane thought over what to say to Bellamy. What would she have wanted to hear when her parents died? She wouldn't want people's pity or hollow words they only said to be polite.