1 ↠ the sleeping beauty

Date: December 1st, 2149
Location: Ton D.C.

     THE BOMB THAT HIT the quiet Grounder village of Ton D.C. just shy of a month ago still created a sense of destruction masked within the rubble. It was another reminder of death in the world; another reminder of the mass murder that happened in Mount Weather. The murders he committed.

     "Together," he said to the girl he never imagined taking on life on the ground without. The word seemed to mean so little to her now. Where was she? She wasn't there helping him through the guilt. Together. He hadn't just meant pulling the lever to end so many lives. He also meant dealing with the aftermath. Together. The word still echoed in his ears; the horror of all the dead bodies in Mount Weather still haunted his dreams.

     Going on a scouting mission always made him anxious to look for her just in case she had come back, or maybe he was traveling to wherever she was headed next. He shook his head. 'She's not coming back', he told himself.

     The man standing in the middle of the desiccated village shivered as a fresh and bitter wind swept through the air. Winter was his least favorite season. He hated the way the cold caused his hands to feel numb as he held his rifle in his hands. He hated the aching feeling that the freezing weather put in his bones. No matter how many layers of blankets he set over his body at night, he still felt cold. In his mind, the weather matched his mood. He gazed around him at the bare trees that were once lively with the autumn colors of yellow and orange and red. Now, all of their leaves were scattered on the ground and withered into nothing; another symbol of death. Those seemed to be everywhere on Earth.

     He focused his thoughts away from the leaves and scanned the area for any hostiles. Relations with the grounders were strained ever since their leader betrayed his people in Mount Weather. He resented for the grounders for everything that had happened in the past months, but most of, for their betrayal at Mount Weather that caused the unspeakable genocide of innocents. The grounders had done little to reach out and try to repair the alliance. For that, he was glad. Grounders only complicated everything and all they wanted to do was inflict more violence. His opinion was good riddance.

     But, this scouting mission wasn't for the Grounders that broke the alliance. This was for another clan that was stirring up trouble and slowly breaking the borders they weren't supposed to cross. The Ice Nation, or Azgeda as the Woods Clan called them, were even more vicious and problematic than the other Grounders on Earth. His job was to make sure they weren't advancing towards Arkadia, the home of his people.

     "Bellamy!" The sound of someone calling his name caused him to swiftly turn around, ready to use his gun if he had to. Bellamy noticed his best friend, Nathan Miller, motioning for him to come over where he was standing. "You need to see this."

     She couldn't breathe.

     The first thing Lane Sawyer noticed when her eyes snapped open was that she couldn't breathe. Her brain automatically went into survival mode as she gasped for breath and looked around in her pod for the button that would snap it open. Lane's eyes fell on a small circular black button to her right as panic seeped into her whole being, and without hesitation, she slammed her palm on it with as much force as possible.

     The pod made an irritating beeping noise as it opened, and the brunette inhaled loudly as the air began to return to her lungs. Lane laid in her pod for a few moments as she focused on getting her breathing under control. She closed her eyes as her heartbeat slowed, and when they opened she realized that she was in complete darkness except for the small trickle of light emitted from her pod.