6 ↠ captivity

HOURS TICKED BY AS Lane sat on the floor with her wrist chained uncomfortably

    HOURS TICKED BY AS Lane sat on the floor with her wrist chained uncomfortably. She leaned her head against the wall, letting out a long sigh. It had been a while since she had gotten a visit from Bellamy. She guessed that he was probably at the gate with the other guards keeping watch. It bothered Lane that she didn't know what was going on outside. She hated being restricted to her room. Although, she still had the EpiPen in her jacket. If she could get Bellamy close enough, she could use her left hand to pull the EpiPen out and escape.

     Lane just had to wait for Bellamy to return. She needed to get out of camp before the grounders got there. She didn't trust the people of Arkadia to protect her. Many of them probably wanted to turn her in, anyway.  Lane learned a long time ago that at the end of the day, she could only rely on herself to stay alive. 

     A few minutes later, she heard footsteps in the hallway. She spotted Bellamy approaching her room. He had his guard jacket on his shoulders, but his gun was tucked away in the holster attached to his belt. 

     He leaned against the doorpost, "How are you doing?"

     "Not so great."

     Bellamy walked into her room, crossing his arms over his chest, "Look, I'm sorry for keeping you in here, but leaving would be a mistake. You have no idea what it's like out there."

    "I'd rather take my chances out there than risk getting myself and your people killed in here," Lane shook her head. "You have to let me leave."

     Bellamy looked away from her, "You can get out of here as soon as we make sure you're safe."

     "Why do you even care?" Lane asked. His need to protect her didn't make any sense to Lane. "You barely know me. I barely know you. Why does it even matter to you if I leave?"

     His eyes flickered to hers, obviously holding back the truth, "I told you, it's not safe out there-"

     "Oh cut the bullshit, Blake. It's not safe anywhere on this damn planet anymore," Lane narrowed her eyes, searching for answers in his evasive expression. "My presence here is putting everyone in Arkadia in danger; your people. Your obsession with keeping me in this room makes no sense, so spit it out. Why do you care so much?"

     Bellamy sat down on her bed, "You just... you remind me of someone. That's all."

     "Who is she?" 

     "She's gone," Bellamy answered as he looked down at his hands. "She left Arkadia after everything in Mount Weather."

     Lane nodded, "Clarke," Bellamy raised his head. "Abby talks about her all the time."

     Lane finally grasped the reason for Bellamy's stubbornness with keeping her in Arkadia. If she left, in some way, it would feel like Clarke leaving all over again. She left him to deal with all the guilt from what they did in Mount Weather alone. It almost made Lane forget about her plan to run. It almost made her want to tell Bellamy she would stay. That he wouldn't have to see another person walk out of the gate.