10 ↠ the burden of the dead

A FULL MOON HUNG high in the night sky as Lane glanced out from behind the tree line

     A FULL MOON HUNG high in the night sky as Lane glanced out from behind the tree line. Arkadia stood in the distance, and the nerves in the pit of her stomach grew stronger with every passing second. She was afraid that as soon as she walked in, she would be thrown out. Bellamy probably hated her and any amount of trust they had for one another vanished when she didn't go with him two weeks ago. She only hoped he could forgive her someday. 

     "Having second thoughts?"

     Lane turned around and looked at Hagen. He was leaning against a tree casually with his arms crossed over his chest. His striking blue eyes capturing her attention. He seemed to be able to do that so easily. Hagen excited Lane. He was mysterious and tall and his blue eyes reminded her of the ocean, but Lane refused to let herself feel too much. 

     "They probably all hate me now," she answered. Well, some of them acted like they hated her from the beginning, but she wasn't thinking about those people.

     Hagen pushed himself off the tree, "I didn't come all this way and listen to you talk all day for you just to change your mind at the last minute."

     Lane rolled her eyes, "I'm not changing my mind."

     "Good, now don't you have some sky boy to go back to?" He asked in a mocking tone. 

    "There was never anything between Bellamy and me," Lane answered.

     Hagen shook his head, "Whatever you say, science girl," he picked his bag up from the ground and slung it over his shoulder, "I guess this is where I leave you then."

     A tiny part of Lane didn't want him to go, but she knew he had important duties in Polis, "I guess so."

     They just stared at one another for a short moment; neither one of them sure of what to say next. Lane's heartbeat sped up slightly as Hagen walked closer to her. He stopped inches away from her, his earthy scent surrounding her. Lane was captured in his gaze.

    Hagen spoke barely above a whisper, his eyes never leaving hers, "Mebioso na hit choda op nodotaim." 

     Lane had heard that phrase earlier in one of Otis's lessons. She knew exactly what it meant, 'may we meet again'. A soft smile appeared on her lips. Lane was about to open her mouth to repeat the saying in English. 

     Before she could though, she heard footsteps behind her. Then, a bright flashlight was being shined right in her face. She squinted, seeing guards from Arkadia with their guns pointed right at Hagen. In the center of the guards stood Miller with a relieved look on his face. 

     "Lane, thank God," he said with his gun trained on Hagen, who had pulled out his sword in alarm. "Did this grounder hurt you?"

     Lane stepped in front of him, "No, Miller, it's okay. He didn't hurt me, and he won't hurt you." All the guards still had their guns pointed at Hagen. "You can put your guns down."