9 ↠ this isn't home

Washington D

Washington D.C.
19 days before the bombs 

    THE SUDDEN PRESENCE OF light in the cell Lane had been stuck in for the past five days blurred her vision. Her body felt weak as loud voices echoed in the room. Someone grabbed her roughly as she was forced her to her unsteady feet. Lane began to sway as handcuffs were placed on her wrists. Her brain was having trouble processing her surroundings. She had barely eaten in the past five days and only been given water a few times. Her mind was replaying Colton's death over and over and over. The loud gunshot still haunted her ears. He was dead because of her.

     Everyone she cared about was dead. She had nothing left except those two stupid Latin words that could end the world. Lane knew she had to keep her strength. She couldn't cave into whatever Willow had waiting for her this time. Lane kept her mother in her mind. She remembered how strong she was. Her mother came from living in a trailer with an abusive father with no money to paying her own way through college and then rising in the ranks of the F.B.I until she was one of the most respected agents in America. Lane knew her mother would have never given that code under any circumstance. So, she vowed to her mother that she wouldn't either. 

     Lane was expecting to be led into another interrogation room, but the rude men leading her along took her to the very end of the long hall. There was a keypad by the door, and one of the men typed in a quick code that made the large metal door slide open. Lane saw Doctor King and Willow waiting for her inside. 

     The room was a lab. There were computers and microscopes all over, and in the middle of the room sat an examination chair that was leaned back halfway. A computer screen and a table with a syringe on it were beside the chair, and dread filled Lane's stomach. 

     The men made Lane sit down and lean back in the chair. Willow walked up to her with a smile on her face as she took off Lane's handcuffs and attached her hands to the restraints on the chair.

     "This could have been so much easier if you would have just told me the code at the beginning," Willow said as Lane's eyes followed Doctor King. He started placing electrodes to Lane's head. 

     "What is this?" Lame demanded.

     "Well," Willow picked up the syringe which was filled with a clear liquid, "You refuse to swallow the chip, so we liquified it," panic seeped into Lane's mind. "Now, it won't be as affective since you aren't willingly taking it, but we'll win you over in no time."

     "No," Lane struggled against the restraints as Willow moved the large needle closer to her arm. "No, you can't do this!" 

     Lane winced as the needle penetrated her skin. She felt the thick liquid enter her bloodstream, and her mind automatically felt like someone was trying to shut it down, but she fought to stay awake. 

       She saw Willow look to the left. Was she talking to herself? "We should have the code in no time."

      Lane's eyes widened when out of nowhere, a tall woman in a long red dress appeared beside Willow. She had pale skin and wavy black hair. Her eyes were dark and still; emotionless and inhuman.