16↠ the thirteenth clan

CLARKE CONTINUED WITH HER stubborn isolation for a week; refusing to talk to anyone except Lane

     CLARKE CONTINUED WITH HER stubborn isolation for a week; refusing to talk to anyone except Lane. When Lane went to see her, she explained more and more about her story and how she met everyone in Arkadia. Lane could tell Clarke was just as strong-willed as she was, and Lane respected that about her. She understood why people turned to her as a leader. 

     Currently, Lane waited for Lexa in the Throne Room, knowing there were many important matters to discuss, one of them being the summit happening in twelve hours. Abby and Kane were right outside of Polis, ready to enter the city and negotiate a lasting treaty for peace. Lane's head turned when the doors were pulled open for Lexa. Her face was buzzing with stress. These past few days had been tense for everyone, but especially Lexa. Almost every single one of the Ambassadors disapproved of her acceptance of Skaikru. She faced constant questions. Lane didn't know how she got through each day without pulling her hair out.

     "The Council might actually pass out tonight when they hear our newest idea," Lexa grabbed a cup of wine. "Making Skaikru the thirteenth clan will only work if Clarke agrees to bow to me at the summit."

     "She will," Lane answered. "She'll realize this is what's best for Arkadia. If they join your coalition, no one would dare move against them." Lexa walked to the balcony with Lane close behind, "You and I both know a peace treaty would never be enough. Not with Azgeda so close to starting a war."

     Lexa placed her hands on the rails, "I fear war with them is inevitable."

     "Maybe," Lane answered. "But they wouldn't succeed; not with all the other clans fighting for you."

     Lexa's green eyes looked at the brunette as silence overtook them for a moment, "You've adapted to this world fast."

     "Well, I didn't really have a choice, did I?" Lane said to her. 

     "You're a survivor, Lane. You've endured so much already, yet your strength doesn't waver," Lexa smiled lightly. "I understand why Hagen likes you so much."

     Yeah, that was why he hadn't spoken to her for a week, "I don't know about that."

    "He's not had the easiest life," Lexa gazed back to the city below them. "His father slept with a slave, Hagen's mother, and then when Queen Nia found out, she had the slave executed. She always resented Hagen. She even had his wife murdered when they tried to leave," Lane processed Lexa's words. She felt bad for feeling so angry towards him these past few days. "When I became Commander, I let him live in Polis, and soon he proved to be a valuable asset to my Council. Just as you have proven to be."

     Everything became clear to Lane; why Hagen always turned away when asked personal questions. He had suffered just as much pain as Lane. Maybe even more. 

     "You took a risk by trusting me," Lane grabbed Lexa's attention, "and I'm grateful for that risk."

     Lexa turned back to the Throne Room, "Hopefully, tonight our efforts to unite my people and Skaikru will begin a new era of peace between us, and you won't have to worry about coming back and forth so much." It was true that Lane had helped Lexa with her idea to bring the sky people into the coalition. She advised her on what the best way to do it would be since she knew how it would probably be received by both parties, especially with the recent news that the sky people had moved thirty-six people into Mount Weather. "Although, Hagen and I would be sad to see you go."