13↠ i remember

Another PSA: now that we're diving into 3A, the chapters will be longer, so that means it'll also take longer to write them. I'm thinking about 4,000-5,000 words. So, I hope yall are ready for some exciting stuff :)

     "I REMEMBER," LANE LET out as she woke up, looking around her room in the early hours of the morning, still replaying every second from that last day before the bombs again and again in her head to make sure it was all real

     She jumped out of bed, stumbling a bit from her slight hangover. Everything made sense. The fog lingering over her expanse of memories had dissipated.  The bunker, the pods, the note about ALIE; the big puzzle had come together in Lane's mind. The truth wasn't what Lane expected. She took the only pod that would survive. She didn't warn people about ALIE when she could have. She spent those last few days obsessing over how to kill her when she could have been thinking of a way to save more people. The truth was brutal, almost too much to handle all at once. 

     Lane hurried through the halls of Arkadia, anxious to get the wave of information off her chest. She promised Kane she would tell him when she remembered any important information, and she also promised Becca she would warn the survivors about ALIE. It was about time she kept those very important promises. Lane only wished Becca was there to help her navigate whatever came next. 

     The door of the Chancellor's chambers was open, revealing Kane and Abby inside as they looked over a map in the center of the table. Lane knocked lightly on the side of the wall, grabbing their attention as they looked up. Kane raised his eyebrows, silently asking what she needed.

     Taking a deep breath, Lane voiced her anxious words "I remember." Those two words definitely weren't what Kane and Abby expected to hear from her. Lane stepped into the room, "I remember everything; why I was the only survivor, how I ended up in the pod; all of it."

     Kane and Abby exchanged a quick glance as Lane dove into the story. She told them about her parents, how they were both murdered. She talked about ALIE,  and how she was developed by Becca and Chris. Then, she explained what happened to end the world; how ALIE activated the nuclear launch codes because she saw the problem of the world as 'too many people'. 

     The entire story sounded too insane to be true, but Lane remembered every bit of it just as if it all happened yesterday. The terror she felt being strapped to the lab chair for eight days in a row, feeling ALIE rummage through her mind to use every horrible memory against her. She shivered, hoping that she would never have to feel that magnitude of pain again.

      "Becca was only able to save one pod, and she saved for me; so I could warn the next people who have to deal with ALIE," Lane looked at Kane and Abby as they processed the information. "As long as ALIE doesn't have a stable mind to connect to, she won't be able to do anything. She's too weak by herself because of limited resources."