7 ↠ the weight of the world

LANE DISCOVERED THAT IT was impossible for her to wake up without a headache, however; this headache was different

   LANE DISCOVERED THAT IT was impossible for her to wake up without a headache, however; this headache was different. Her skull felt like someone had rammed it into a tree five times in a row right before dropping a rock on it. Lane could immediately tell that her hands were bound behind her back. The rough ropes had already turned her skin raw. She opened her eyes slowly, spotting three figures standing near her in a deep conversation. They were in the middle of the woods, and the sun had just risen in the sky. Lane could smell the sweet dew in the chilly air. 

     She began to struggle against the ropes, trying to slip her hands free before her captors knew that she had woken up. Lane had no idea how far from Arkadia these people had taken her. She wondered if Bellamy and the others were looking for her. Probably not after what she did to Bellamy; betraying him and leaving him like she did; even when Bellamy expressed how much Clarke leaving hurt him. Some would call Lane heartless, but she saw it as an unwavering instinct to protect herself before she relied on anyone else. Maybe Bellamy would understand that one day. 

     "You can try and try all you want, but you'll never break free," Lane looked up to see the woman who was waiting for her outside Arkadia standing over her. Lane narrowed her eyes. "We're right outside Polis, and the Commander can't wait to meet you and take your power."

     Polis? Lane thought back to her meetings with Abby and Kane. That was the name of the capital city in the grounder's society; where the Commander lived. 

     "You people are psycho. Do you even hear how crazy you sound?"

     Lane was forced to her feet roughly. The woman shoved her along a dirt path that led out of the woods. Something about this felt familiar; being led what could very well be her death. All of these crazy grounder people thought Lane had some magical powers that could make them live forever, which made no sense. Were they back in the Middle Ages all of a sudden? 

     Lane took in the amazing and unexpected sight of Polis. It stretched for several miles in a valley with a huge cylinder building with hundreds of windows in the very center. As they entered, guards waiting at the front gate searched them for weapons. The two guards eyed Lane, searching her longer than anyone else even though her hands were literally tied together behind her back. 

     The guards motioned for them to go into the city, and Lane was once again yanked forwards by the rude grounder bitch. She looked from left to right at all the small tents and merchant carts that had clothes, plants, fruits, meats, and live chickens. Children ran through the streets kicking a makeshift ball with two dogs running after them barking happily. 

     They arrived at the base of the towering capitol building. Lane watched as her captors spoke in a foreign language to the guards standing watch motioning to Lane several times. One guard, the only one who didn't have a face covering, walked up to Lane. He glanced over her several times with his striking icy blue eyes. His blonde hair was braided in a very complicated looking fashion on his head. He was over six feet tall, and the other guards seemed intimidated by him as if he held a higher position than them in the city.