Chapter Nine

"So are you sure she's not going to be out and about tonight?" Jesse asked Lissa for about the fourth time. Ever since their double date the night before, Jesse had thought almost non-stop about Rose.

"I told you – it's the name day for someone in her family. It's a big thing in the Orthodox faith. She'll be at home feasting and celebrating. Rose is not going out tonight."

Jesse frowned. Something about Rose had attracted him in a way no girl had in a long time. He wasn't sure if it were her striking dark looks, the way her eyes danced with mischief and merriment even when there was clearly nothing to be amused about, or whether it was the way all his usual pickup lines hadn't worked on her. Whatever it was, he'd gone to bed thinking about her and had woken up still every bit as interested.

"All right then, Dragomir; let's go out to a club tonight then," he suggested morosely to Andre, dismissing Lissa without a second thought. If he couldn't get between Rose's thighs tonight, there were plenty of other girls who'd be willing to assuage his need until Rose came around.

Not wanting her brother, or more particularly his friend, to know where she was going, Lissa waited at the end of the driveway for Camille's Mom who was picking her up on the way to the basketball game. They were meeting Mia, Christian, and Rose there. It was an important match tonight; not only were College scouts going to be there, the Guardians were playing the Valley team – and if they won they'd be through to the finals. Lincoln High's team 'The Vampires' had won their qualifying game last night, so if St Vlad's won tonight, it would see the Guardians play the Vampires in the finals. The teams were archrivals, so Dimitri and the guys would be pulling out all the stops in tonight's game to try and make it to the finals.

When she and Camille arrived, Lissa was pleased to see the squad had scored good seats. Rose sat, her eyes bright with excitement, waiting with the Christian and Mia.

"Rose, you look beautiful," Lissa gushed admiringly. Whatever lack of effort Rose had made last night, she'd well and truly compensated for it this evening. Her hair was out but pinned back from her face, she'd gone for a subtle look with her makeup, but her lips were full, plump and glistening with gloss. Lissa wasn't into girls, but even she thought Rose's lips looked mega kissable!

"Dimitri said he hoped I'd be here tonight," Rose said with an embarrassed smile, speaking softly so they weren't overheard.

Lissa grinned at her encouragingly. This was exactly what she'd hoped for; a shit date reminding Rose just how wonderful Dimitri was. How in tune they were with one another.

"Gwiazdeczko!" Adrian announced, climbing over the seat back and plonking himself to sit between Lissa and Rose, ignoring the grumbles from both.

"Adrian," Rose acknowledged curtly, her eyes never leaving the door to the players' change rooms from which the team would emerge. When they'd been together, Dimitri had usually come over for a good luck kiss before every game, and she was rather hopeful he might want to reinstate that tradition tonight.

Adrian was trying to engage Rose in conversation when the door opened, and Dimitri, Mason, Eddie and the rest of the guys emerged. Eddie and Mason immediately headed to where they were sitting, Dimitri following behind them. Mia threw her arms around Eddie, liberally peppering him with sweet, loving kisses. Dimitri looked at Rose, then to Adrian as he scooted along the bench to sit hard up against her side. Scowling at Adrian in annoyance, Rose elbowed him in the ribs. Hard. He tried to pretend otherwise, but seeing that made Dimitri's day!

Rose gave Dimitri a tentative smile, and he responded by coming over to where she sat.

"Good luck tonight, Comrade," she said taking his hand when he offered it, giving him a cheeky little smile.

Unforgiven - CompleteOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara