Chapter Thirty-three

"Oh my God! Tata! What happened? Is she going to be ok?"

"She was walking on the pavement when a car jumped the curb and hit her. She was unconscious when they brought her to the hospital. She has a broken leg, and they're checking her for other injuries. They're worried she might have a head injury. Just get here as soon as possible!"

"Tata I'm at State doing a tour. I'm not sure when the car is due to go back..."

"Catch a taxi if you have to. I'll pay. Just get here as soon as you can – your mother needs you!"

"Yes Tata," Rose said, tears sliding down her face.

She rang off, Dimitri, the Belikov women, and Miller looking at her in alarm.

"My Mom was hit by a car. She's unconscious at the Mercy. Tata says they think she might have a head injury," Rose wailed. "I have to get back to town!"

Olena immediately hugged her, Yeva barking instructions at Dimitri in Russian. Miller, however, beat him to it. Hearing what had happened, he went to have a quick word with Coach Croft who immediately returned to their table.

"Your car will be out the front in a few minutes. Belikov, I'll be in touch in a few days. I hope your mother is ok," he said kindly to Rose. The four of them followed Miller from the room, oblivious to the inquisitive stares from the other diners.

Sure enough, the car was there as soon as they were.

"Can you take me to the Mercy hospital? It's kind of on the way?" Rose begged the driver.

"Not a problem. We'll head straight there now."

"Thank you," Rose said faintly, letting Dimitri help her into the back of the car.

The four of them were quiet on the way back, Dimitri holding Rose close as she wept against his chest.

"What if she's seriously injured?" she moaned.

"Your father would have rung again if he knew any more," Dimitri reassured her. "Why don't you call him now and let him know you're on your way?"

"Good idea," Rose said, pulling out her phone. Dialing her father, he picked up almost immediately.

"I'm in the car on my way back, Tata," she announced, her voice weak and frail. "Is there any news?"

"No. They're waiting for her to go in for a CT Scan any minute. Her broken leg is bad, and it will need to be operated on, but they're more concerned about the possibility of a brain injury right now."

"Has she woken up?" Rose whimpered.

"Not yet," Abe said bleakly.

"I'll be there soon, Tata," she said her voice breaking. "Where should I come?"

"Ok myszko," he said, sounding like a shell of his normal self. "I'm following your mother around as she has her tests, so I'm not sure where we'll be when you arrive. Just call me when you get here."

Abe's loving endearment made Rose cry even more. It meant little mouse in Polish, and it had been Abe's pet name for her when she was little.

They were approaching the hospital when the driver lowered the privacy screen to speak with them. "Is the front entrance ok?"

"Yes, thank you," Dimitri replied. "Mama, Babushka – I'm going to go in with Roza. I'm not sure what time we'll be home, but I'll call and let you know what's happening when we find out more."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Olena asked pointedly, referring to the argument between him and Abe.

"No, but Roza needs me, and like it or not Abe needs to get used to the idea that I'm a part of the family and I'll be staying that way."