Chapter Fifteen

"Rozalia? Phone!" Abe called out irritably from downstairs. Since Rose got a cell, the number of phone calls on the landline had dramatically reduced. But they were still invariably for Rose.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"Tasha Ozera."

"Who?!"

"Tasha Ozera!" Abe bellowed, getting more cross. He was watching a documentary on fly-fishing and was enjoying it.

"Hello?" Rose said picking up a phone upstairs. Hearing a confirmation hello she shouted, "Tata! I've got it. Hang up!"

"What?"

"HANG UP!" she screamed.

"Alright! No need to shout!" Abe grumbled.

"Rose speaking."

"Hi Rose, it's Tasha."

"Tasha. What do you want?" Rose asked coolly. She had no idea why she might be calling. They hadn't called one another in years.

"I heard you're back with Dimitri?"

"So?" Rose said in a particularly unfriendly tone.

"So, I wanted to ring and speak to you about what happened while you were away at Christmas."

"You want to talk to me about that?!"

"I overheard Christian talking to Dimitri earlier, and I know he's planning to go to the police tomorrow and make a statement that I sexually assaulted him."

Rose was stunned. She was almost certain there was some misunderstanding – but she wasn't about to let Tasha know that!

"And?" Rose said tightly.

"Well, I thought I should let you know nothing happened that night. I was up for a bit of fun, but he wasn't into it. Even once I got him into the bedroom he only spoke of you, and then he passed out."

"Yet you let him think he'd done something with you?"

"It was just a joke," Tasha said defensively.

"No. It wasn't. Dimitri never wanted to do that with you, but you intentionally led him to believe he had. Do you have any idea how that affected him? He's not like other guys! Being with a woman actually means something to him!" Rose growled at her.

"I know," Tasha said sadly. "I guess that's why I wanted him... Anyway, for what it's worth, that's the truth. I'd appreciate it if you could tell Dimitri. He deserves to know, and maybe he won't go to the police if he knows I made it up?"

"I'll tell him, but do everyone a favor - don't ever come near him again. And I don't care if you don't tell anyone else, but make sure you tell Christian the truth about it. The whole thing has upset him, too."

"I understand and I will. Thanks, Rose, and I'm sorry."

"Bye, Tasha," Rose said, hanging up.

Wow! That had been unexpected. It was 8.45. Late, but not too late. Dimitri deserved to know this and now, so without stopping to overanalyze, Rose dialed the numbers she could remember in her sleep.

"Hi it's Rose – is Dimitri there?" she asked shyly. She was still embarrassed about this morning.

"Hi Rose, it's Karolina. I'll just get him for you."

In the background, she could hear Karolina call out "Dimka? Your girlfriend is on the phone for you! Can't you guys go two hours without speaking?"