Chapter Fourteen

"Where's Tata?" Rose asked, looking at her mother as she came into her bedroom, purposefully closing the door behind her.

"He's pottering around his workshop. You managed to convince him, you know, but I'd limit the kisses and cuddles with Dimitri in front of him if you want him to stay in blissful ignorance."

"I don't know what you mean?" Rose said cautiously.

Janine smiled, but it wasn't without a hint of sadness. "Wee one, I was your age once, too. I recognize the way you and Dimitri were looking at each other this morning, and I know what it means. Just please be safe and remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to."

Rose was too stunned to reply.

"I would have preferred you wait until your wedding night, but I can see you love each other, and people marry a lot later, nowadays. I won't say anything to your father, but I am your Mom, and I hope you know you can come to me if you have any questions, or just want to talk."

Janine's face was almost as red as her hair as she sat on the bed and put her arm around her daughter.

"You're not angry? It wasn't something either of us planned to happen last night, I promise!" Rose whispered, cuddling in against her mother.

"I'm not angry. It's your body, darling. I just hope you weren't pressured, or that you didn't do it because you felt you owed him."

Rose shook her head. "It wasn't that. I've been thinking about it for a few months. Dimitri's never even suggested it..."

"Are you sure? I'd wondered whether maybe that's why you broke up? That he wanted to and you didn't?"

"No. We broke up because of a stupid misunderstanding when I didn't give him the chance to explain something to me," Rose said confidently. "I really love him, Mom. It was the right time, and he's the right person for me. I don't regret it."

Janine and Rose sat quietly on the end of Rose's bed hugging.

"Tata's going to be unbearable with Dimitri this afternoon, isn't he?" Rose moaned.

"Undoubtedly," Janine said with a smile. "You gave us both a scare this morning." She gave her daughter a long stare before continuing. "Did all that really happen with Jesse?"

"It did," Rose said, shivering even thinking about it.

"Then I think you should report it to the police. You might not have been the first woman he's done this to."

"But nothing lasting happened. Dimitri made sure of that."

"But what if Dimitri hadn't been there?" Janine asked softly. "You would never forgive yourself if he tried it on someone else and there wasn't anyone there to stop him."

"So what really  happened?!" Sonya asked as soon as Rose and her parents were out the  door

"So what really happened?!" Sonya asked as soon as Rose and her parents were out the door. She didn't even bother pretending she and Karolina hadn't been eavesdropping. Viktoria, being considered too young for this discussion, was in the kitchen with Paul trying to wipe the cereal off his face and out of his hair.