Chapter Eleven

Jesse lunged for her again but stopped midway, caught from behind.

"You heard what the lady said. Leave her alone," a menacing voice with a thick Russian accent intoned.

Rose nearly cried with relief. There in the shadows behind Jesse stood Dimitri, and he didn't look happy. In fact, he looked like he wanted to rip Jesse's head off.

"Fuck off. This is between Rose and me," Jesse growled.

A look of pain flickered across Dimitri's face, but he didn't let go of Jesse.

"There is nothing between you and me, Jesse. I'm not interested in you! Now leave me alone!" Rose shrieked, trying to cover herself with the remnants of her ripped blouse.

"You want it. I can tell you do. You've wanted it ever since our date."

"The only thing I want is for you to go away. Touch me again I'll call the police," she threatened her voice wavering.

"Fuck you dumb slut," Jesse started. Rose never found out how he was going to finish the sentence because that's as far as he got before Dimitri's fist collided with Jesse's jaw, the latter staggering before stumbling into a hedge.

Jesse righted himself and tried to throw a punch at Dimitri, only for the furious Russian to belt him again.

While it gave Rose a great deal of pleasure to see Dimitri hurt Jesse, things could get out of hand if she didn't stop him. Grabbing his arm, she shouted "Comrade! You have to stop now. Before you really hurt him!"

"He deserves to get hurt!" Dimitri roared, lining up to take another swing at him.

"He does, but you can't afford for the police to be called!" Rose hissed, trying to appeal to his sense of responsibility.

Dimitri pulled up short. Rose was right – no matter how angry he was, he couldn't afford a blemish on his record. Not this close to scholarships being awarded. Instead, he grabbed Jesse by the scruff of his shirt, pushing him angrily back towards the house.

"Get out of here and don't come back or I'll finish you," Dimitri snarled.

Not needing to be told twice, Jesse took off in the direction of the house. Watching him go, Dimitri turned back to Rose, trying not to let his eyes wander to her chest where the lacy black bra she was wearing was clearly visible under the tattered pieces of her blouse.

"I'm sorry your date didn't work out," he said in a wooden voice, turning away. "Maybe next time be more careful who you chose to go out with?"

Rose caught him by the arm.

"It wasn't a date. I didn't even know he was going to be here."

"But you know him?"

"Yes."

"You went out with him?" Dimitri asked, hoping her answer would be no.

"Well yes, but..."

"So this was all some big game to you, was it?! Make me think I had a chance while you're out fooling around with other guys? Do you hate me that much that you'd do that to me?!" Rose could see anguish and disgust in Dimitri's eyes.

"I don't hate you!" she cried, bursting into tears. "I want us to be together again!"

Dimitri looked at her in confusion. She was shivering, and without thinking, he took off his jacket and held it out to her. She turned and let him drape the jacket over her shoulders before turning back to him, putting her arms around his hips and resting her head on his chest, tears starting in earnest. His arms automatically encircled her, giving her his warmth and his comfort.