Chapter Ten

They were in a funny no man's land. They still weren't sitting together or being publically affectionate, but the looks Rose and Dimitri were giving one another were becoming more and more tender as the week progressed. Lissa and Christian had both noticed the change in their best friends. For instance, Dimitri was much more talkative and happy. Even though the Coach had the guys from the team in the gym every day getting ready for Friday's basketball finals, Dimitri was in a great mood.

"Rose?" he asked on Wednesday afternoon in physics. "Coach Schoenberg wants the team to practice on Thursday after school. I know we have our project session then, but I was wondering if you'd mind postponing it? We could do two sessions the week after to stay on track if you wanted?"

It was completely unnecessary; each had wanted to prove to the other they were putting in a hundred percent to the project, the result being they were weeks ahead of schedule. Rose smiled at Dimitri. She'd suspected he was going to need to put in extra basketball practice this week, so was unsurprised by his request.

"It's fine. You can make it up to me on the weekend. You are still planning on taking me out, aren't you?"

Dimitri's heart pounded. "Of course I am," he said with a soft but very sexy smile.

Christian had told him about his conversation with Rose at Saturday's game – that she was going to give him a chance to explain what had happened while she away. All week he'd hoped she'd raise the topic, but he now appreciated she was waiting for the weekend to speak with him. After their kiss on Saturday, he was quietly confident that she was going to take him back, but he had to keep reminding himself nothing was guaranteed.

Now she had Thursday afternoon free, an idea occurred to Rose. That's how she and Lissa found themselves at the shops on Thursday after school, looking for outfits to wear to Lissa's party the following night.

"I'm looking for something sexy," Rose said. "I want Dimitri to be unable to keep his hands off me!" Lissa giggled. She thought Rose could pretty much wear anything and Dimitri would be in that situation. Anyone could see how much he'd missed her. "I was thinking maybe a dress or skirt and top? I always wear jeans, but he likes my legs."

Steering her best friend towards a rack of skirts, Lissa pulled out ten contenders, quickly pointing her in the direction of the change rooms. She'd tried on five when she found the one. It was black and plain, with overlapping panels at the front, but something about the way it hung emphasized her toned ass and made it look like her legs went on forever.

"Team it with some strappy black heels, and you're going to look amazing!" Lissa gasped, tempted to try it on in a different color herself.

"I don't know. It's pretty short... I can't see Tata letting me out in it, and I'll freeze at the game."

"Don't wear it to the match! I'll take it home with me today. After the game, we'll head home straight away and get changed. Eddie, Dimitri, Mason and the others can shower and change and follow afterward. You're staying at my place anyway."

"Good idea! I can wear those super high black heels I wore to prom last year. They'll look perfect with this!"

"Yep. And a blouse. But not tight – that might look a bit low-rent? Stay here – I'll go find something."

Rose was lucky to have a best friend who loved to shop and had a natural eye for fashion. Lissa was back in a minute with three shirts to try on, the second of which was perfect. Sheer, and ever so slightly transparent, it was pretty and feminine.

"Wear that with a lacy black bra and Dimitri will be eating out of your hand," Lissa laughed.

Checking the combination in the mirror, Rose decided Lissa was right. Buying the skirt and top Rose resigned herself to another two hours of shopping while Lissa bought three outfits. But she could afford to; her allowance was about four times bigger than Rose's!