Chapter Thirty-two

Like everyone else in the class, Rose dived for her bag, pulling out her phone. Her hands were shaking as she logged into her email, tapping the message she'd received from admissions at State. The first few lines were the usual blurb with a link to the online portal. She logged in, and there was the salient line, 'Pleased to offer you admission...'

Rose shrieked, turning to Dimitri, squealing ecstatically and jumping up and down "I got State!"

There were other happy cries, and a couple of disappointed groans as the rest of the applicants in the class checked whether they'd been accepted.

"Um, Roza? Do you think I could use your phone to check now?" Dimitri asked nervously.

"Oh shit! Of course!" Rose said, tossing her phone to Dimitri. It took a couple of moments for him to log into his webmail client, but then he, too, was opening an email from State and logging into the portal. He smiled also seeing an acceptance, but it was the financial pages he was most interested in. He skimmed the contents before grabbing Rose around the waist and swinging her joyously in the air. She giggled wrapping her legs around his hips as he twirled them round and round.

"I got State, babe! Partial academic partial sporting scholarship! All fees and living expenses covered," he said in awe. "We're off to State, Roza!"

Rose's lips found Dimitri's and they kissed. All the hard work! Their hopes and dreams realized! Dimitri couldn't believe they'd pulled it off! They would be at the same University! The two of them were over the moon and were kissing for a good two or three minutes before Mr. Alto tapped Dimitri on the back and suggested that the whole class didn't need to see him making out with his girlfriend.

"Sorry, Mr. Alto," Dimitri said, blushing and helping Rose back to her feet but not relinquishing her hand. "We've both worked so hard for this!"

"Did I overhear you say you got a full scholarship?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, sir. Partial academic, partial basketball. All fees and living expenses covered. My family can't afford to help me, so this is going to make a world of difference," he said beaming.

Alto looked strangely benevolent. "Congratulations, son. That's quite an achievement. Your family will be very proud," he said, holding his hand out for Dimitri to shake.

"Yes, they'll be over the moon. Would you mind if I stepped outside to call them?"

"By all means. In fact, anyone who needs to call their family is welcome to do so," Alto said to the class with a rare grin.

"You first," Rose said with a glorious smile, tucking herself under Dimitri's arm as he rang Mrs. Dodov's apartment, asking to speak with his Babushka. A rapid conversation in Russian ensued before Rose could hear Yeva squealing in excitement, too. A few minutes more and he rang off, quickly shooting a text to Karolina to let her know as well.

"Your turn," he said passing the phone back to Rose. She smiled and was about to dial her mother's cell when she stopped.

"Dimitri? What if Tata won't help me with Uni, now?" she asked in a small voice. "If he's kicked me out of the house, he's not likely to help me pay for college, is he?"

Neither of them had thought of that.

"Call your Mom," Dimitri counseled. "It's a big deal, and she should know. Let her work on your father."

Rose nodded, although she wasn't convinced. Still, he was right about one thing – her mother would be excited. She dialed and waited until her mother picked up the phone.