Chapter Twenty-three

"So – do you have any thoughts for this morning?" Dimitri asked after carefully washing their dishes and setting the kitchen back to rights. "I have nothing planned, so the day is ours..."

"I meant what I said about getting you a ring," Rose told him.

"I meant what I said about wearing it," Dimitri replied wrapping his arms around Rose's waist.

"Where would be the best place to get Russian gold?" Rose mused. "I'd really like it if our rings matched..."

"There's a second-hand store a few blocks from St. Vlad's that might have something? They're open on Sundays." Rose knew the one Dimitri meant. More of a vintage store with furniture, cool old stuff as well as estate jewelry, it was just the sort of place they might find a ring. "We could walk there if you want?" he suggested.

Twenty minutes later, Rose and Dimitri were wandering hand in hand towards the store. It was a crisp, brisk morning. Perfect walking weather.

"When will you get the results of the scholarship exam?" Rose asked.

"Week after next, and then I'll need your help packaging up all the final scholarship applications and sending them off."

"How do you rate your chances?"

Dimitri slowed to a stop, turning to face Rose and resting his hands on her waist. "Actually, pretty good. Two of the scouts got in touch last week. I think I'll get some sort of offer."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Rose gasped. This was huge news!

"I was going to, but the last few weeks have been kind of full on," he admitted. "Besides, at the time it didn't look like I'd be able to accept."

"So is State still your first choice?"

"If it all works out, yeah. I guess a lot will come down to where we both get accepted," Dimitri said resolutely. "I want us to be together."

"What if I don't get accepted anywhere you do?" Rose asked, voicing one of her greatest fears. She couldn't imagine after everything they'd been through being separated now.

"Then we'll deal with it. Roza. We're a team," he said, lifting her hand and dropping a reverent kiss onto the ring he'd given her.

"We're  home!" Janine announced as she made her way into the house, Abe  following a few steps behind her carrying their bags

"We're home!" Janine announced as she made her way into the house, Abe following a few steps behind her carrying their bags. Dimitri had stayed until Janine's warning call about two hours ago when after many cuddles and kisses he'd headed home, but not before promising Rose they'd try and find a way to spend a night together again soon.

"So how was it?" Rose asked after giving her mother a big hug and a reassuring smile.

"It was hell!" Abe announced, throwing his bags on the floor in a fit of pique and collapsing theatrically onto a sofa. "Compact living?! Urban nomad?! I am sore everywhere and will need a week to recover!"