Javier Vasquez ➳ Z Nation

Pairing: Javier Vasquez x GenderNeutral!Reader
Setting: Before and during season 2, episode 1 and 2 (y'know, basically the first episodes Vasquez is in)
Author: AikaKyomi
Requested by: mylilruby
Notes: So, here you go! A request from a reaaaal long time ago (really sorry about that ^^') since we're finally able to catch up on all our work on this book now that school is over for a month. You guys shall expect a few updates soon! Hope you enjoy!

Song
Poets of the Fall War
'When I thought that I fought this war alone, you were there by my side on the frontline'

☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎

The cold ambient temperature of the forest at nighttime was slowly vailing away as the sun rose over the horizon. The day was there, finally, after another long night of surviving in the woods. Vasquez opened his eyes and looked around. No Z's upon sight. He was lucky this morning.

Gathering up his belongings, he took a bite of a granola bar he had stuffed in his pocket before jumping down the tree, upon which he slept on a branch. Not the most comfortable, but clearly the safest bet when you were alone and unprotected in the apocalypse.

He grabbed his pistol from his belt, and started to walk south like every morning. He didn't really know where he was going exactly, but the goal in his mind remained to flash red and top priority: finding The Murphy, the man he heard about on the radio earlier this week. He was supposed to be the savior of humanity, and who knew how much that was valuable nowadays.

It went smoothly for an hour, then two. The forest seemed infinite, as he couldn't even see a way out, but he kept on walking, convinced he'd reach something eventually.

It was suddenly that a noise in the bushes nearby drew his attention. He grasped to his gun tightly and moved his finger to the trigger, lifting the weapon in front of his face. Too irregular to be a human, but too silent to be a z. It didn't make any sense. An animal maybe? Hopefully, it was, so he'd have something to eat that wasn't granola bars for once.

After waiting a few seconds, not moving a muscle, he realized he was right: a small deer slowly walked up a few meters in front of him, and luckily did not see him yet. Vasquez smiled, and lifted his pistol to shoot. But before he could even brush his index onto the trigger, a gunshot was heard and the deer fell to the ground in a loud squeak.

He instantly crouched and hid behind bushes. If this deer was dead, and it wasn't because of him, it meant that someone else was nearby. And usually, it wasn't good news.

After a few seconds of absolute silence, he started to doubt his theory. There was no movement around him. Maybe he had shot unconsciously? But it didn't make any sense. He silently walked up to the side, where he could have a better look at the animal and obviously, there was no one in sight.

"Hands up." a voice behind him suddenly startled him. "Get up and turn around."

He obeyed the orders upon seeing the stranger's gun in hands, slowly standing up, and rotating himself in her direction.

It was you, with (h/l) (h/c) hair and deep (e/c) eyes, standing straight-faced with your pistol held firmly. You hadn't seen anyone in this forest in days. At least, not anyone alive.

"Drop the gun." you ordered, your voice stiff, and he promptly obeyed. "What's your name?"
"Javier Vasquez." he replied calmly. "I'm just passing through."
"Same goes for me." he noticed your face soften. ''But that doesn't mean I trust you.''
''And how shall I earn your trust then?''
"How do I know you won't kill me?"
"Aren't there enough things to kill yet?"