c h a p t e r ; 1 2

A Few Weeks Later

"Howard, i am going if you like it or not!" argued Ana.

Howard was pulling off an impressive argument on why she shouldn't go with Colleen to Azzano. Saying that he would never forgive himself if something happens to her, or the idea of being alone without her for such a long period of time freaked him out. The other points was complete rubbish and Ana did not take rubbish. 

"I have already promised, it has been months and Colleen gets to see her brother there in a week. I leave in 2 hours and you can choose to come if you want."

"But i would never forgive myself if you get hurt"

"Well you don't need to forgive yourself if i get hurt! Just bring bloody bandages."

Two hours past and Ana and Colleen was on the plane to Azzano Umbria in Northern Italy, Colleen was awfully excited to be on a plane while it only brought bad memories to Ana's mind, she flew to Austria with her family 4 years before ww2 broke out...

Two hours past and Ana and Colleen was on the plane to Azzano Umbria in Northern Italy, Colleen was awfully excited to be on a plane while it only brought bad memories to Ana's mind, she flew to Austria with her family 4 years before ww2 broke out in 1935. They flew there to meet up with the extent of the whole family, it was always an awful met up, her parents were not a fan of her uncle and she was ashamed to be even related to the man. So ashamed she pushed the thought of who he was and continued to here Colleen gasp at the views. 

Arriving to the base, she meets with Colonel Chester Phillips.

"Colleen Rogers  and you are?" he asked.

"Anneliese Lorenz, i will be supervising Colleen Rogers, fixing your weapons and vehicles and reporting back to Howard to see what we need to be sending more of."

"You accent..."

"Is german, got a problem?"

He shook his hand and left, Colleen giggled her way over to the nurse tent. Being introduced to Daisy, Macy and Claudette and many other nurses, Colleen was at home with them. Leaving them be, Ana left to find the tent with all the machinery. Walking in gravel with heels was a challenge but it was the last thing on her mind as she entered it in, signing her name and wearing a badge to show she has access to the guns and weapons.

Looking over all the guns, all of the Howard's creation apart from the shells and grenades, they were her's. Walking over to the section labeled 'broken' she got to work, putting her gloves on she pulled the gun apart with gunpowder all over the table, the trigger on the gun was smashed by either shell shock or a quick and heavy fall to the ground. Finding a new piece, wire and other parts, she kept it together for at least another 'mission'.

Working her way on, she noticed one of the grenades was contained in a heavy black box, she made it incase of damage and they don't 'explode' when triggered. Opening it carefully, she taps the edge of it and it falls to pieces, the timer started counting down from 5 seconds, incase the opposition go to open it correctly it would explode and destroy the whole grenade. Quickly shoving only the timer and explosives into the box and locking it down with many locks, sounds of gun fire filled the room. the grenade was different to many others, it starts with the lots of mini explosions it stops, when someone comes '3 metres' close to the grenade after the mini explosion it will ignite all hell's fire to a range of 6 metres.   

Many soldiers came running in to see Ana working on adding new explosive and timer in the grenade. They look at one another, swearing they heard gunfire and a massive explosion coming from the weapons tent.

"Dumme Soldaten" she said "it was just a grenade being deactivated" 

They nod and leave, confused.

After many hours of fixing guns, deativating grenades and making them new again, she walks outside smelling like gunpowder and explosives, her hair is slightly frizzled from the black box breaking at an end of an explosive that only harmed her face black and her blond hair with black ash and frizz. Already wiped her face she finds Colleen eating with the other nurses, deciding she would sit with the head of the army base.

"Can i sit here" She asked, not really giving them a choice.

She was eating rice and beans, it was more than what the soldiers was eating but she was most definitely not used to it. Listening to the men laugh as they drink beer and smoke cigarettes, talking about war and guns. She found it to be quite pleasant, laughing along. The army men were a lot different from the ones from the city, getting on with one of the Colonel Marcus Falunt. 

Marcus was 52, lost an eye in world war one and had 2 children and 7 grandchildren, he fought in the same group the '107th' and spoke of Colleen's father highly, he was only a soldier in world war one. He came from an Italian background while his wife was as British as you could get, having a picture of her and his 2 children in his shirt pocket. He was the definition of a loving husband. 

"Miss Lorenz" asked Colonel Chester Phillips.

"Yes?"

"Can you handle a gun?"

She laughed "would i be working with Howard if i didn't?"

"I have asked the boys and they wouldn't mind having yourself and Miss Roger's join the 107th fight Hydra and the Wehrmacht. A nurse with her skill is needed and your ability of fixing weapons in such short time and your knowledge of the grenades would be appreciate. We understand if you don't want to, but Roger's has already agreed." 

"Yes, just don't tell Howard."

He smirked, knowing well that Howard would have a complete fit knowing she was in harms way.

"They leave in two days at 0300, i will suggest get a good night's rest tonight and tomorrow. there will be a fair bit of walking and running and heels will not be necessary."

Laughing again, "well sorry to tell you, i only wear heels. Lucky you i brought boots to run in"