02 · Halls

Athan Lucas.

     I had to resist saying his name multiple times, absolutely loving the way it rolled off of my tongue.

     Athan. Lucas.

     The bell rang, snapping me from my thoughts. I quickly exited the classroom and turned the corner, peeking back in to notice Athan still packing up his things. His movements were smooth, like every motion was calculated and made with a purpose.

     Athan slung his backpack over one shoulder, grabbing the paper off the desk and sliding it gently onto the teacher's desk. The woman didn't look at Athan, her nose buried in a crime novel.

     "You can go, Athan. Just remember what I told you."

     "Yes, ma'am," Athan replied calmly, slipping on a pair of large sunglasses along with a dark baseball cap and turned to walk out the door. I pulled my head out of the doorway, not wanting to be seen.

     "Have a nice weekend, Mr. Lucas," the teacher called, just as Athan slipped out the door. Athan raised his hand before leaving the teacher's sight, as if to thank her for the comment.

     He soon turned the corner, striding down the school hallway in the direction opposite of where I had been standing. I admired him; the way his long legs moved and how his feet touched the ground so silently. I made a move to follow him, but it was too late. I had daydreamed so long, I had not seen which way he had turned at the end of the hall.

     My feet clapped against the smooth, glossed tile as I ran; my need to see him one last time before the weekend was growing rapidly.

     Just as I was turning the corner at top speed, I saw him, causing me to almost lose my balance trying to stop my feet from running. He held out a hand and touched my shoulder, trying to help stop me. I tensed from his touch.

     "You alright?" He asked, pulling down his shades a little. His cold blue eyes latched onto me.

     "I, um... hah," I was completely speechless, the first time I ever tried to speak to him. Nice.

     "No worries. A nod would do." He patted my shoulder in a friendly manner, finally pulling his hand away. I breathed a sigh of relief. He had barely touched me, but why did it feel so... intense? Athan furrowed his brows, looking genuinely concerned.

     "You gonna be alright?"

     "Y... yes," I said, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, "I'm fine. Thank you."

     "Hm. Your name is... Jennifer, isn't it?"

     "Just Jen. I-I mean, yes, but... Jen. Jen is fine."

     "I see. My name is Athan," he nodded, a smirk fighting to appear on his face, "but Jen. No running in the halls next time." Athan lifted his arm to a sign nailed to the wall next to him, tapping on it twice with his finger:

     No running in the halls.