10 · Coffees

"And after that," I said, taking a sip off an iced coffee, "he just... left." Shay and I were hanging out at a local coffee shop not too far from my house.

     "What the fuck?" Shay laughed, almost spitting out her drink, "Your heartbeat makes me sick, too. I'm gonna throw up right now." She pointed to her mouth and stuck out her tongue.

     "Shut up," I said, a smile on my face, "even though it was weird... he still kissed me. I can't even believe that happened."

     "Well, I guess it's a start. You'll be married in no time." Shay stuck her finger in her cup, scooping out some whipped cream and licking it off.

     "Oh, and that guy called me again yesterday."

     "Creep guy?"

     "Yeah," I said, sliding my drink out of the way, "he knows where I go to school. He called and said he could see me when I was walking home."

     Shay frowned, her eyes widening, "Wow. Someone more stalkerish than you? Maybe it's safe to say we can call the police."

     "No. Remember when I asked you if I should call Athan that night? Well, I did, but it wasn't him. It was that same voice, the same shady guy from yesterday that answered. They must be connected somehow."

     "And that keeps us from calling the police... why?"

     "You want Athan to be arrested!?" I said, speaking louder than I should have. People sitting at tables next to us turned their heads, and I lowered my voice. "Because I sure as hell don't. The shady guy might be messing with both of us. Have you ever thought of that?"

     "I say you're walking into something with bad shit written all over it. I don't like the feel of it." Shay reached forward and took a sip of my coffee, having already emptied what she had ordered. "Can't you find some other emo guy?"

     "He isn't emo!" I sighed, trying not to get upset, "God, can't you be on my side for once?"

     "Jen, honey, listen. I understand you like this guy," she leaned back in her seat, "but it just doesn't feel right. At all. Like, if you heard there was a raging fire down the street, would you waltz down there and dive into the flames? I mean, c'mon, Jen. Think for a minute. It's common sense."

     "You know I don't need a lecture from you. Plus, this is different."

     "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

     "Please."

     "Jen, don't do this." Shay leaned forward again, resting her elbows on the table and making eye contact with me. "It isn't going to work."

     "Please?" I pouted, staring back at her. I knew what I was getting into could be dangerous, but I would feel a lot better if Shay agreed to help me out.

     Shay folded her hands together, her face portraying mild annoyance. "God. You're a bitch, you know that? And I hate you. And I want another coffee."

     "I love you, too." I smiled, calling the waiter over and ordering another coffee.

     "So. What's the fuckin' plan, Stan? Not only do I wanna find out how I'm gonna get myself killed, but," Shay sighed, pulling her phone out and checking the time, "I've gotta get going soon. It's already 4:30 and my dad wanted to introduce me to another corporate douchebag at five."

     "We're gonna do what I do best."

     "Stalk him?"

     "Shh! You know I don't like that word!"

     "I was right? Damn, I good."

     "I take back that 'I love you'."

     The waiter came over, setting the coffee I had ordered for Shay on our table. I scowled, causing a grin to appear on Shay's face.

     "But you can't take back the coffee." Shay winked and slid the cup her way, giggling at me before she took a sip.