16 · Escapes

Several hours passed. The saturday sun was setting and I paced my room, waiting for a text, a call, anything from Athan. Every time I thought about Nick, my stomach churned with anger. I am almost eighteen, and he's only three years older than me! Does he really have a right to put me under "house arrest" like this? I tried to think about how he was only doing it for my safety, but my emotions were running rampant; I couldn't see it from his point of view. I can take care of myself. Suddenly, my phone started ringing, and Athan's name popped up on the screen.

     "Athan--"

     "Not now. I need you to do me a favor, Jen." Athan's voice sounded low, as if he was trying to keep this phone call quiet.

     "What's wrong? I mean, I shouldn't even be asking that. You ran out of my house last night! There's still so many questions--"

     "I need you to leave."

     "... What?"

     "I don't have time to explain. I need you to take your brother. Anything you need."

     I brought the phone closer to my ear. "Woah, woah, woah, wait a minute! We aren't going anywhere, Athan. We can't just take off! O-our parents aren't even back yet, we don't have any money--"

     "I can give you money." There was an urgentness to his voice. He wasn't lying.

     "I... A-Athan, I can't."

     "You have to! Y-your life is-- fuck," I heard Athan sigh, his voice shaking as if he was on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry, Jen. I'm so sorry."

     "I-I don't understand.. what are you talking about?" Nick walked in and leaned on the doorjam, apparently overhearing our conversation. His eyebrows were raised expectantly.

     "Who's that, Jen?" Nick asked.

     "Nick, I--"

     "Is that your brother?" Athan asked, his voice perking up a bit. I shook my head, looking over at Nick.

     "I-It's nothing, no one!"

     Nick walked over and grabbed the phone from my hand, putting it up to his ear, "Are you the punk that gave my sister those bruises?"

     "Give it back, Nick! Y-you said you didn't care who I called!"

     Nick stood there for a moment, listening to Athan. His face changed to a more solemn expression, and he turned to me, "Is... everything he's saying true, Jen?"

     I nodded my head slowly. "I know, it's... a lot to take in, but..."

     "Here," Nick handed the phone back to me, "We can talk about it more later. Find out how far we should go." Nick hurried out of the room. I brought the phone up to my ear, amazed.

     "Wh... what the fuck did you say to him?"

     "Please... hurry, Jen. And I am sorry. But I'm giving you a chance."

     "What... happened to you, Athan?"

     "Donn. He tricked me. I was starving, and... he forced me into a deal."

     "What was the deal?"

     "He would feed me. If... I let him have you."

     I felt my heart jump into my throat. "Athan!"

     "I know, I know! I wasn't thinking at the time! That's why I'm giving you a chance to leave. Take it, Jen. I'm sorry."

     "Goddamn you! Athan! Athan!" I screamed, tears starting to stream down my face. How could this have happened? How could Athan just throw me under the bus like that? A head start isn't going to stop Donn! Nick walked in, wearing a jacket with a bag slung over his shoulder.

     "Jen. Come on, it'll be okay," he bent down, putting his finger under my chin to look at him, "we'll get through this. You're tough. We are tough. You should've told me a long time ago."

     I sniffled, standing up and starting to gather some stuff into a bag. "Yeah, right. You would not have believed me."

     "I mean, I think it depends." Nick smiled, trying to keep my spirits high. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. Once I had all of my stuff, I turned to my brother.

     "Nick... I love you. I-I know I don't say it a lot, but--"

     "It's alright. I love you, too, little sis." Nick ruffled my hair. "I've gotta piss and then we can head out, alright?"

     "Okay. I'll... be waiting in the living room." Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I nodded to Nick and he nodded back. We went into the same hall but went different ways, and I stopped once I reached the front door. Looking back toward the hallway, I saw Nick enter the bathroom. Glancing around the room and sighing softly, I dropped my bag, opened the front door and ran outside.

     I made the split second decision for one reason: No one else was going to get hurt because of me. Nick might get hurt in the process of trying to escape, Athan might get hurt trying to stall Donn, Shay could get involved, mom and dad might come back early. All Donn wanted was me. And that's what he was going to get.

     I got a couple blocks away before my phone started ringing wildly, and when I checked to see who it was, it was Nick. I left him a message as I kept walking.

7:45PM
     Jen: nick, im not going to answer. i never said i was smart, brave, selfless or anything else. for once in my life, i want to do something that matters. im going to give myself to donn. the man of the fucking hour
     Jen: im sorry.
     Jen: i justdont want anyone else to get hurt
     Jen: don't come looking for me.

     I wiped a tear from my cheek and turned my phone all the way off so no one could call or text me anymore and continued walking, trying to stay ahead of Nick.

     The cold night air stung my lungs as I breathed in, cooling my insides and making me shiver. I left my clothes, jacket, and bag at home so I wouldn't weigh as much as I ran, leaving me with nothing but the clothes on my back. A car shot past me, stopped, turned around, and drove up to the curb next to me. As the window rolled down, I saw two bright, blue eyes staring at me, and three large scars across the right one.

     "Hey, sweetheart. Come here often?" Donn asked, his voice slightly mocking. I stared at him for a moment, walked forward and got into the car.

     "Wow. That was... so much easier than I thought it would be. What changed, doll?"

     "Let's just go. My brother will be looking for me."

     "I thought there would be more fight in you. Shame, really," Donn took the car out of park and zoomed off down the road. "I enjoy a little kick in the gut to keep things interesting."

     "Trust me, I won't stop fighting you. Not as long as you're keeping me around. I just... had to give myself to you first. So no one else would get hurt."

     Donn whistled, glancing once to the side at me and then back at the road, "Give yourself to me? That sounds a bit naughty. What else can you do?" His smile had pervert written all over it.

     "You're disgusting."

     "That's fine. You don't have to like me. Gives you more reason to squirm when I bite into that pretty little neck of yours."

     I looked at Donn one more time before switching my gaze to the window, watching objects fly past the car as we sped down the street. I saw the sign for Athan's street pass by, and I turned to look at Donn again, a confused look dominating my face.

     Donn seemed to notice me staring at him without looking over, and he responded. "Athan would expect us to be there, silly. We're going somewhere more... private."