11 · Streets

School was being let out on a Friday, and teens of all shapes and sizes swarmed out of the gates. Shay and I hurried through to the front of the crowd, trying to get ahead of Athan, since I knew he would be coming out this way. I felt a tinge of fear flutter in my stomach, but I tried to ignore it. We were only watching him today, there's nothing to be scared about. We came around the building and stayed pushed against the wall, watching the kids flood out.

     "There," I said finally, pointing to a break in the chain of people. Athan had walked through the gate, pulling a lighter and a pack of cigarettes from his bag, his sunglasses reflecting the sunlight. I inhaled and grabbed Shay, getting ready to move.

     "I'm with you," Shay whispered. I turned my head and nodded at her, starting to walk forward slowly.

     "We need to take our time. If we're careful, we won't lose sight of him, and he'll never see us."

     Athan walked to the stoplight and waited to cross the street, Shay and I staying about fifty feet behind him. The light turned green for parallel traffic, and a crossing guard started allowing people to cross the street. Athan had lit his cigarette and walked ahead of everyone, the kids behind him being engulfed by his smoke. Whether or not it was blatant or accidental, I would never know. Athan was way too unpredictable.

     "Where does he live?" Shay asked, walking faster to catch the light before it changed again.

     "Not sure," I said back, my eyes glued to Athan.

     "So we're following him home?"

     We stepped into the street, slowing down a bit, "Yes. We don't have to go inside, don't worry. But maybe we'll see something else."

     "Something else, huh? Is there something you know that I don't?"

     I shook my head, continuing to walk. If anything, I had to know where he lived, if he lived anywhere at all; maybe we could see a parent's car, or if he lived alone. At this point, any information about Athan would be useful. Shay sighed and walked beside me, pulling her phone out to text someone.

     After a while, we came to a neighborhood I had never been through before. Shay stayed close; if she was scared, her face would have never shown it. Athan had crossed the street and turned the corner in front of us. I glanced at the street sign labelled Winwood Ave.

     "Remember this street, Shay," I said, starting to run to the corner.

     "Okay! Is there really a need to run? Jesus," Shay groaned and ran up behind me. I stopped suddenly, holding my hand out to stop her.

     "Yes. Look." I pointed to a house across the street and three lots down, seeing Athan walking up the steps to a house. Thinking quickly, I ran onto the corner house's lawn and hid behind a large tree that was growing there, Shay following behind me. I squinted my eyes, trying to focus on Athan.

     "He's... knocking on the door," I said, relaying information to Shay, since her eyesight wasn't as good as mine.

     "He's just standing there?"

     "Someone just opened the door. They look tall... taller than Athan. I can't see their face at all. It looks like there's a car parked out front, too."

     "Anything else?"

     "Athan walked inside, but... the other person is still standing in the doorway."

     "What's he doing?"

     "He's--" I paused. My phone started ringing at full volume from my pocket! At the same time, the figure standing in the door looked like they had turned in our direction. Could they have really heard my phone ring from there? I slipped back behind the tree, not taking any chances.

     "Hello?" I said, answering my phone.

     "What are you doing?" Nick answered, sounding upset. I breathed out, a bit relieved that it was Nick and not that stalker guy.

     "I'm walking home with Shay. What's up?"

     "You've been so weird lately. I'm afraid you won't show up after school one of these days."

     "How nice of you, Nick. At least you can rest easy knowing I'll be home later today. Promise."

     "Uhuh," Nick sighed, a ruffling sound coming from his end, "I'll hold you up to that one. Tell Shay I said, politely, she's still a bitch."

     "Gotcha. See you later, Nick." I hung up the phone, turning to Shay, "Nick said you're the best."

     "I'm sure." Shay grinned sarcastically.

     "We'd better get going." I pushed on Shay gently to get her moving, looking around the tree and back at the house. The door was now closed.