33 · Betrayals

~Athan's POV~

     My hands shoved into my pockets, I trudged through the brush, kicking rocks out of my way as hard as I could.

     "What a fucking joke," I said out loud.

     It was happening all over again. I should've known from the start she was never going to be mine. As soon as he got involved, it was over. Stockholm syndrome or not. Donn mentally fucking her up or not. What a fucking joke.

     Some twigs had snapped somewhere nearby and I slowed down, looking around, not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

     The way I had talked to her made me feel guilty. I kept replaying the moment she jumped at me, pounded her fists on me and screamed her heart out. This heaviness in my chest...

     What the hell was I supposed to do?

     Ever since I laid eyes on her I knew she was perfect for me. We dressed similarly, whenever she saw me she blushed. She thought I was never watching, but I always was. That day when we bumped into each other in the hall, and all of the times we touched after that. I almost couldn't contain my urge to take her away right then and there; to keep her for myself. Protect her from anything that came her way. I wanted to be hers.

     I care about her, but... she doesn't listen to anyone or anything. Though her stubbornness is one of the things I love about her, it's so frustrating, too. And I lost my cool over it. I... yelled at her. I don't even know if I can trust what she said about her and-- no, I won't even say his fucking name.

     "Why are you so fucking stubborn?" I said out loud again, stopping in my tracks. I pulled a hand out of my pocket and rubbed my face, feeling even more frustrated after thinking it over. Adding to the negatives, I haven't eaten or slept in days because of the nightmares, either. Because of her.

     I knew I couldn't let her go back to him. He's too unpredictable. Too... untrustworthy. She meant too much to me to let him ruin her. As far as I was concerned, they were never going to see each other again.

     "Athan Lucas." A voice called from behind me. I turned to look, seeing Duke stepping through some bushes.

     "What do you want?"

     "A little birdie told me a certain fly got caught in a web," he said, "I thought I would notify you as soon as possible. But... what are you doing sulking way out here in the middle of the night?" He smirked.

     "Doesn't matter. Just... do me a favor and don't tell those two about the news yet."

     Duke flipped his hair out of his face, two crimson eyes glinting in the light. Though I kept in touch with him, I never really liked Duke. The way he thought he was superior to everyone, even me, being more of a pureblood than him. To be so full of yourself in that manner... disgusted me. But, his connections to the vampire world has helped me out in numerous situations. If anything, I owe him that.

     "You have some sort of plan to win little Jen's heart back?" His grin lessened and he crossed his arms, almost as if he was pouting. "I think it's a lost cause. She didn't even react to my advances."

     I felt my anger rise and I took a step forward. This punk really tried something with her? "Stay away from her, Duke."

     "Well, fortunately for you, she isn't mine to take anyway," he said calmly, starting to circle around me, "but she is perfect for Dahlia."

     My eyes widened at that name, and I shouted at him. "Keep that bitch out of this."

     "Settle down, Athan. A deed for a price, a price for a deed. Always."

     I balled my fists, a mix of dread and fury washing over me. This is what I get for making deals with assholes.

     "I will tear you a-fucking-part if you get near her again. She was to be left alone, and you fucking know it. I would have never stepped foot anywhere near you."

     "Without me, she would have died, Athan. Where would you have gone? Your fool of a brother really did a number on that girl. I mean, she was basically dead already. In reality, I'm just taking her corpse off your hands." He smiled wider, his red eyes almost glowing in the moonlight. "You see, I'd really love to help you. I would. You've always been a good... acquaintance to me. But my Lady... she's been so bored lately, you know. A Goddess must be appeased, lest you wish she inflict her wrath upon us all."

     "That whore is no God of mine," I growled and moved forward, my nails growing, ready to tear into him. Some leaves rustled behind me, and Duke made a clicking sound with his tongue.

     "I wouldn't move if I were you." He giggled like a child. I snarled and stayed put, knowing he had me surrounded by now. How could I have been so foolish?

     "You're going to fucking regret this."

     "We'll see, Athan Lucas. We'll see." Duke's smile disappeared instantaneously; he raised his hand and twirled a finger to the sky and spun around, my arms suddenly being yanked behind me by multiple hands. I yelled as loud as I could, hoping somehow, Jennifer might be listening. But, as an arm came up and under my neck, cutting off my air as well as my scream, I figured it was too late. I choked and gasped for oxygen, now losing focus from not breathing.

     The last thing I saw was a shadow of Duke, melting into the darkness of trees that lead toward the house.