14 · Facts

Athan was seated on my bed, and I was pacing in front of him, thinking about everything that happened. We had been at my house for twenty minutes now, just sitting in silence; the sun outside had already set. I finally decided to turn to Athan and speak.

     "... Feed. Donn said something about... feeding."

     Athan rubbed his face, looking paler than usual. "I know I said I would tell you, but--"

     "Athan. I have the fucking right to know."

     "I know."

     "Then tell me!" I stepped closer to him, on the verge of tears. I don't know exactly what Donn was going to do to me today, but I deserve to know what's going on around here!

     "You aren't going to believe me." Athan eyed me and looked toward the ground, folding his hands together. He seemed awfully nervous.

     "I'm not gonna say it again." 

     "Jesus, alright already. He meant... feed. As in... drinking blood."

     "... Huh?"

     Athan sighed loudly, combing his hair back with his fingers. "I... we, are vampires, Jen. Vampires. I drink blood, he drinks blood. Sharp fangs, sun sucks." Athan lifted the sunglasses hooked to his shirt. "The whole bit."

     I stared at him for a second, unable to come up with any words to say. "Is... is this a joke?" I held my wrists up to him, bruises having formed where Donn had grabbed me, "I mean, does this look like a fucking joke? I got hurt today, Athan! This isn't funny!" Athan stood up, looking down at me; the blue of his eyes sent chills down my spine.

     "I'm not joking with you, Jen. Fuck," he brought a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose, "I wish I was lying. Everything would be... so much easier to explain if I was human."

     "Athan..." I whispered, feeling a little guilty for yelling at him. But how else was I supposed to react? I moved forward to embrace him, but Athan took a step back. His eyes suddenly widened, and he held a hand over his mouth as he walked over to the closed door of my room, leaning against it.

     "I can't be here. I wasn't supposed to see you again. Not until..."

     "Until what?" I crossed my arms, fear fluttering in my stomach.

     "I... haven't fed for several days. I don't sneak into people's houses at night, like my brother does. I don't force myself onto anyone. That makes it... h-hard for me to get the blood that I need... t-to stop the cravings." Athan had started breathing harder, his body tensing up.

     "Are you... okay?" I moved over to him, gently placing my hand on his back. He flipped around, shoving himself up against the door. Beads of sweat had formed on his forehead.

     "Don't. I won't... b-be able to stop myself this time. Th-that night... in the kitchen. With you. I put you to sleep... so your heartbeat wasn't as tempting to me. I-I was able to leave... without incident."

     "Maybe you should calm down..."

     "And that night when I kissed you. I-I almost... it took everything... hah..." Athan smiled and put a hand over his eyes, the sweat pouring from his face. "I-I should've... I should've sent you home. By yourself." Athan inhaled deeply, his smile now revealing two sharp, growing fangs. I took a step back.

     "A-Athan... Athan, it's okay. If we're being honest, I'd much rather have you do it than--"

     "No!" Athan screamed, slammimg his hand against the door. His eyes had changed completely black, and his fangs were at full length. "I might... I-I have to go. I have to go!" Athan swung my door open and ran to the living room, escaping through the door. I ran behind him, trying to see where he was going, but it was too late. I looked around, seeing no signs of him anywhere. Running back inside for my phone, I tried to call him twice, but no one answered.

6:48PM
     Jen: athan, please pick up!!!
     Jen: please!!

     A message suddenly came through, getting my hopes up, but it wasn't from Athan.

6:49PM
     Shay: Jen?
     Jen: shay, holyfuck
     Jen: am i glad this message was from you
     Jen: you wont even believe what the fuck happened to me today
6:52PM
     Shay: Thank god ure ok. I was about to call ur ass, I was worried fucking sick. Also sorry I didnt go with u, that was really shitty of me
6:53PM
     Jen: its ok. we can talk more tomorrow. i have a lot of shit to tell you
     Jen: athan just ran the fuck out of my house lmao
6:55PM
     Shay: Lmao wtf. See u tomorrow then

     I sighed, sitting down on my bed, still trying to process what had happened today. Including what Athan had... changed into.