Chapter Two

March 21st, 2015

"It's been over three months since I suggested that we have sex in the tree house."

He clutched onto the warm mug of his coffee with both hands, causing them to turn a little red due to the new heat. I sat across from him doing the same for my mug of hot cocoa, but truthfully, the weather was on the warm side. We decided to head down to a café the next day after he surprised me on my birthday, just so we could catch up with what's happening.

But frankly, I was not expecting the first thing to pop out of his mouth to be that. Luckily at the time, I wasn't taking a sip of my drink.

"Um, yeah it has been," I swallowed and darted my attention to anything other than my boyfriend.

"Sorry, that was just a thought," Luke lightly chuckled while tracing small patterns on the wooden table with his fingers. I shrugged and watched him as he occasionally drummed softly.

"It's alright," I smiled, but looked around awkwardly. "How's England?" I asked.

"Cold," he stifled a laugh. "I don't know, not as great as here."

"What do you mean?" I sat up.

"I really missed you," he replied quietly, biting his lip. "I can't go a day there without feeling extremely alone."

"But didn't Liz go with you?"

"That's not what I'm trying to say, Paige. I don't like being without you," said Luke as he sat up straighter, too. My heart sped up a little.

"Oh," I gently smiled.

"How has Australia been?" he stuck out his tongue.

"Hot," I chuckled. "Lonely, for the same reasons..." His foot kicked mine under the table as a priggish smile grew on his face.

"You're dumb," he said.

"Um?"

"We haven't seen each other in three months. Yesterday and today I practically told you that I either wanted to make out with you or have sex with you. You're not getting my flow here, babe. But you're not actually dumb," Luke explained.

"Obviously, English women haven't been giving you enough attention," I snickered while standing. As I stood up tall, his eyes lit up and his smile grew.

"Obviously not, Paige Millar," he hummed lowly before repeating himself. "Obviously not."

--

"So is it like Spring Break in England or something?" I asked while Luke rubbed his thumb softly against the back of my hand. We walked out of the café in a hurry, but the second we reached the outside air, we slowed down.

"Yeah, I head back in a few days," Luke said, a frown replacing his usual glowing smile. "I have something to tell you," he then said a minute later.

"Is it good news?" He nodded as the smile crept back up again, so I smiled too. "Tell me," I pleaded.

"Um, I went to the doctors yesterday before I visited you, and they said I'm on the road to recovery with my depression." He was beaming, absolutely beaming. Well, so was I.

"You're fucking kidding me Lucas! Really?" He nodded again. "Oh my, God, that's so awesome!" I almost squealed.

"Yeah, it's pretty awesome; isn't it?" Luke blushed.

"Hell yeah!" I noticed our walking pace was faster than it had been only two seconds ago. "I'm so happy for you, and proud," I smiled, then stood up on my tippy-toes to kiss his cheek. When I pulled back, he was blushing again.