Chapter Fourteen

July 5th, 2015

A few days later, I was sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office, waiting to find out the further conditions of Luke's disorder. There wasn't much to discuss, nor much to even think about considering the fact that since year 11, things had gotten just plain worse for him. I liked to think that the news would be good, since the boy next to me looked like he was about to vomit all over himself unless he found out that he was- well- getting better.

The moment the doctor stepped out into the room, Luke had sprung up like a jack-in-the-box while I just stayed seated since I was feeling a bit under the weather that morning. Frankly, I didn't even understand why I was there. He just dragged me along.

"Mr. Hemmings, are your parents here?" The tall boy looked around hesitantly then nodded.

"Erm, they should be. It's cool, though," he shrugged, obviously not seeming to care that he had come here with them. Though the truth was, since he was currently 18 (but 19 in 11 days), technically the doctor could let Luke do all of the work. We were official adults. That scared me half to death.

"Alright," the doctor sighed and brought out his clipboard from behind his back. "Do you think they mind that I tell you now? Or should we just wait?"

"Now, please," said Luke as he shoved his hands into his jacket pockets. He seemed a little over confident about this whole "depression" thing, but I thought that right now, the confidence suited him.

"Well, good news first. Since you've been taking your medicine, it is definite that from the last time you visited the hospital, say two weeks ago to now, you have shown drastic signs of improvement. To say that you can be cured can easily be persuaded, but, it is obvious that your levels of depression have decreased in such a short amount of time.

"The bad news is," the doctor continued. "According to recent studies, it is said that those who have improved in their depression in less than a month like you, are more likely to, I don't know, obtain a more rocky level of depression for a longer period of time. And I am afraid, Mr. Hemmings, that because this has been much worse before, there are possibilities of it taking another large climb."

All Luke did was nod along, and it was so weird to watch him not look like he had to cry about this. For knowing him almost two years, he seemed so grown up.

"Are there any questions, Mr. Hemmings?" Yes, I have one; why won't you call him Luke?

"Not at all, doctor, thank you so much. Should I be on any new medica-"

"Your dosage had been working strong these past few days, I guarantee you'll be fine. Just go see the pharmacist once a month about a refill and you should be good," the older doctor nodded.

"Alright, thank you so much, sir."

"Thank you." I awkwardly stood there as they shook hands and tried not to intervene by shaking the doctor's hands, too. That would be even more awkward, actually.

"Well look at that Paige Millar," said Luke as the doctor walked away. Rough hands were pressed to both of my shoulders, then the arms attached to those hands turned me around to face the actual body. "You are some sort of fucking goddess."

"No, no," I shook my head. "I arrived back into your life like four days ago. You were only just getting over me." All he did was chuckle.

"Do you think I would honestly get over you? Please, I can't even get over dropping a buttered bagel on the floor a few years back." I giggled a bit and returned to staring back up at him. "You are what scientists think is impossible, a cure for everything."