09: The Land Of Sands And Fire - 5

I took a deep breath and sat down on the ground. I let the air out of my lungs and looked around. Dead monsters and their entrails were scattered around the place. I looked at my whole body and finally realized that I'm covered in purple blood. I sighed and wiped away the blood on my face.

"These guys are annoying..."

They're not annoying in hard to kill way, they're annoying in how they evade. They burrow into the sand and silently sneak around me, and it's fine if it's just one or two of them. One can walk through this place and thought that a large-scale battle happened here. I sighed once again and pushed myself up with the help of my scythe.

"Alright, no sand whales yet, but it's probably going to appear soon."

I looked around me, trying to look for these so called sand whales, but it was surprisingly quiet. I shrugged to myself and walked away, thanking my lucky stars as I do. The center of the island felt strangely hot, even for me. Probably because I'm near a gigantic hole in the ground. I peered into the hole and was greeted by a bottomless hole. Even though there's nothing blocking the sun, the bottom is still not visible. I crouched down and threw a rock into the hole. I put my ears on the ground, trying to listen for the sound of rock hitting the bottom of the hole. After a good few seconds, the rock finally landed.

"If I jump into this hole, it's just going to be death, whether it's from monsters or from the fall..."

If I had to chose how I die, then I'd rather die fighting a monster. Fighting gravity is exhausting after all. I looked at the edge of the hole and hit the ground with my weapon. It produced a weird, metallic sound as I hit it.

"O... kay?"

I took out two daggers and stabbed one at the hole's wall. I hang onto the ledge and put one hand on the dagger. I prayed to whatever god is listening and let go of the hand that's holding onto the ledge. The knife didn't fail me and kept me from falling down. I heaved a relieved sigh and stabbed the other knife to the wall.

"Here goes..."

I went down the hole, one feet at a time. I looked around the hole every once in a while to see whether there's any enemy presence, but so far, there's nothing. 100 feet later, the area surrounding me is starting to get darker. I looked up and saw the sun directly above me. I took my hand off one knife and reached out toward my water bottle. I tilted the bottle and felt the water go through my parched throat. I sighed in satisfaction and put the bottle back its place. Then, I caught a glitter from across.

"What is that?"

I used a binocular and realized that it was a chunk of pure gold.

"Gold? Here?"

I looked around me and noticed that there's a lot more gold underneath me. I noted it in my head and continued on my journey to the bottom. 200 feet down, and it's completely dark. I took out a lantern and hang it on my waist as I make my way down. The same as before, golds are scattered all around me, but that's not all. All sorts of unrefined precious gems are lodged onto the walls, ready to be mined. I looked up and saw that the sun moved a bit. I looked down and still can't see anything. I light one lantern and dropped it. The lantern fell down soon enough, and I can finally see a dot of light at the bottom. I sighed and continued down. 300 feet down, and I'm finally at the bottom.

"Well, that's not as bottomless as I initially thought. Now then..."

I picked up the lantern I dropped and searched around. I found a hole leading further down, but at least I don't have to climb down like before. There's some kind of stair there, and the cobblestone is still in a particularly good condition, though it is covered with sands. I make my way down and in 15 minutes, I found myself in an opening. I looked around and saw some torches on the wall. I approached it and lit it, and the others followed suit. I took a step back and dropped my lantern.